Thread: Odies vs Osmo

Odies vs Osmo

Hi Everyone,

What are your thoughts on Osmo vs Odie's? This will be used for the inside of a whisky cabinet. I typically use shellac for the inside of cabinets but being a whisky cabinet I don't think shellac is the way to go. Since this will only be used on the inside my concern in having a lingering smell when you open the door. From reviews I've read Odie's has a more pleasing smell. Also, Odie's can be applied without leaving a sticky mess on you hands and fingers.

Thanks!
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

I personally would not use any kind of oil based product on the inside of a cabinet unless it was further top coated with a waterborne or shellac. For the reason you stated, shellac wouldn't be ideal, so I'd go with waterborne all the way. If you need the "warmth" in color, use a product that provides it (such as Target's EM2000 or EM8000) or do wax free shellac top coated with the waterborne of your choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I personally would not use any kind of oil based product on the inside of a cabinet unless it was further top coated with a waterborne or shellac. For the reason you stated, shellac wouldn't be ideal, so I'd go with waterborne all the way. If you need the "warmth" in color, use a product that provides it (such as Target's EM2000 or EM8000) or do wax free shellac top coated with the waterborne of your choice.
    Thanks Jim, was thinking the same thing. I did order the Odie's to give a try on some test pieces. I'd like to see what all the hype is about with this and similar like Osmo and Rubio.

Dale -- Please do post your test pieces and experience. I haven't tried the so called "hard wax" finishes yet but am intrigued.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

FYI Briwax has a waterborne version of their hard wax oil.

John

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted on the results. I think I will give it a try for the inside of the cabinet and see if there will be a lingering or rancid smell. Actually if the inside surfaces look good I may do the whole cabinet with it. My first thought was to make this cabinet as a for piece but the curly walnut it's made from is somewhat special to me and I really don't want to see it go after all. Pictured is cabinet before finish, give me a couple weeks to post results & impressions.

W2.jpg

W1.jpg