Thread: What am I waiting for?

What am I waiting for?

I’ve been doing some brain rearranging the past few months as my lathe died and I’m waiting for a new one to arrive. I’ve been reevaluating the wood boards and slabs that I have for “flat work”. I do have some interesting wood and over the years, I’ve said to myself, “Don’t use that. Wait for a special project.”

I’ve come to realize that I could wait forever for the perfect project and now is the time to use the "special" wood. What am I waiting for? I just finished a console using some walnut, quilted maple and tiger maple (see pictures) and now I’m working on a “Krenov inspired” cabinet with some birds eye maple, walnut, and maybe something else. What have I got to lose. I’ll go out and get more wood if I have to.

David

console 1.jpg
    console2.jpg

Blog Entries
    We all do that, at least I have , to some extent. I have some cherry boards I acquired many years ago at a woodworker meeting in Texas. It is still on the top shelf of my wood rack, looking for the right project.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You might want to provide some fan cooling for that receiver, or move it to a different location, those Onkyos can run pretty hot and they don’t like that.

That’s a great looking cabinet! It seems a fitting use for “the good stuff”.

Last year I took a one inch bolt and cut head off to make a lock knob. I had been saving that bolt for something for at least 30 years. I bet we all have some special hardware we are saving as well as wood.
    Bill D.

I say use it. Like most wine, wood doesn't get better with age. Good wood makes you do better work. It's a win-win.

John

I know the feeling. I'm starting a jig that will require a piece of 3/4 BB plywood, about 12" X 16." Have a whole sheet (5X5,) but am having a hard time convincing myself to cut the needed piece out. Same thing with a tapering jig I'm building. A piece if T track could be used for runner. Have on hand a lifetime supply, but having a hard time convincing myself to use a piece. It wouldn't need to be cut, and would be attached with screws, so if needed it could be repurposed later.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-09-2021 at 9:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    You might want to provide some fan cooling for that receiver, or move it to a different location, those Onkyos can run pretty hot and they don’t like that.
    Doug, it’s open on all sides.
    676C1BD1-A2BF-4DA7-8C3D-F24E01531043.jpg

Real nice. I especially like that base design ,it deserves to be given more altitude on another piece.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    Doug, it’s open on all sides.
    676C1BD1-A2BF-4DA7-8C3D-F24E01531043.jpg
    It's blocking the top that's the issue. They design these things for passive air flow from bottom to top, and if that's blocked, even if the unit has a fan (some of them do) by the time it turns on the life of the unit may be shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    It's blocking the top that's the issue. They design these things for passive air flow from bottom to top, and if that's blocked, even if the unit has a fan (some of them do) by the time it turns on the life of the unit may be shortened.
    Doug, I’ve had that Onkyo for over 20 years. Before this it was sitting in a closed cabinet and my kids would always forget to turn it off. I lost the remote probably 19 years ago. I wouldn’t mind if it bit the dust, but it just keeps on ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Real nice. I especially like that base design ,it deserves to be given more altitude on another piece.
    More altitude? You mean a steeper, more visible curve?

Doug, I’ve had that Onkyo for over 20 years. Before this it was sitting in a closed cabinet and my kids would always forget to turn it off. I lost the remote probably 19 years ago. I wouldn’t mind if it bit the dust, but it just keeps on ticking.
    That’s a very nice piece you made. If you’re not concerned about the Onkyo, you might be concerned about the effect it’s having on the wood immediately above it.

FWIW, there are threads in other forums about Onkyos running hot, going back many years now. I myself have had a heat-related failure of one, that put it out of action for a few weeks (the authorized service centers are few and far between, at least they didn’t charge me, everybody knew what was going on.)

More altitude? You mean a steeper, more visible curve?
    box higher off the floor .