Thread: optically clear adhesive scenarios:

optically clear adhesive scenarios:

Hello All, I have a customer who would like flourescent green acrylic adhered to a clear acrylic backer that will be part of a sign. There is a design element behind the acrylic that should show through the 2 acrylic layers. (it's astroturf. not my idea!)
    Here's my question:
    What is the least detectable, most optically clear adhesive option that you have used with success? We don't want to go the hardware route fyi.
    My sci-grip weld-on #4 is so far is not getting the job done. Is there any sheet/roll material to apply before cutting that is optically undetectable?
    Also, when using weld-on 4 do you use any pressure/weight/clampage of any kind?
    would love to see what you guys have to say!
    Trotec Speedy 360 80watt, Woodworking, screenprinting, paper marbling and an all around assortment of art supplies.
    I make art, my laser makes money. which i spend on art tools like lasers.
    MAKE it 'til you make it.

Blog Entries
    Just played with 3M 468 tape and it is clear, but you will see bubbles as bad as any weldon... Nothing is going to be perfect. Can you make a border around these two parts and glue there? Do a search, this has been brought up before.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I use weld on and can get perfect joints. It is difficult and my success rate is probably about 50%. The larger the area the less chance of a perfect result. Do not apply any pressure when bonding the two pieces. Do not starve the joint.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm not sure how large an area you're doing or if tape is a must or what, but---

Loctite Go2 glue may work-
    go2.JPG
    --Best description I have is, it's like thinned clear silicone, even has a silicone smell to it. It's about the consistency of contact cement but without the 'melted cheese' effect. Maybe a bit thinner... It's sets in about an hour IIRC, but needs a 24 hour cure. I've used to glue glass awards and pieces of plex together, it's absolutely clear and never a bubble. It's holds very strong, but if you NEED to pull it apart, you can with some effort; like silicone, it remains flexible.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle