Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vise options for a plywood bench

Vise options for a plywood bench

Hey all,

I bought a house in 2019, and the prior owner was a woodworker who left his plywood bench. It's attached to the garage wall. It's a 1 car garage, so space is an issue. The bench is maybe 7ft long and 2.5ft off the wall. It has no way to hold work. What are my options for a vise? I've already tried some bench dogs, but they don't work very well in the plywood.

If photos would help, I can get some in a bit.

Ps. I've just began to learn woodworking during Covid. Total novice.

Thanks!
    Last edited by John Serna; 03-09-2021 at 2:59 PM.

When I built a new mobile bench, a few years ago, I wanted the capability or using a wood vise swell as a metal work vise.

The top of the bench is two layers of 3/4" plywood and that provided enough support for the lag bolts for the wood vise.

Might give you some ideas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPy5fkNf_98

Hi John,

I think some pictures would help us to know what you're working with exactly.

Welcome to the hobby!

Zac

A work bench is in essence a clamping station.
    The kind of work you do will influence the kinds of things you need to hold which will determine the kinds of clamps you will need.

Don't be thinking, "What kind of clamping will my bench support?" But, rather, "What kinds of clamps will I need?", then modify your bench to accommodate that kind of clamping.
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 03-10-2021 at 2:25 PM.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

My shop garage is also one car size, 14x24. I have a mobile 3x7 foot table built of plywood that serves as my outfeed table, my assembly table, and my track saw cutting station. I put a leg vise on it a year or so ago and I like the addition. I just bought the screw from Amazon and glued up some oak I had for the "leg". The top of my table is two layers of 3/4 plywood but they are 8 inches apart. So you have a lower horizontal surface to put tools on so they do not clutter the top (Ron Paulk concept). I attached the nut of the screw to the lower of these two levels near one of the plywood legs. But you could put it nearly anywhere that would be convenient for you.

I also work out of my garage with a bench that is attached to one wall with drawers underneath. With limited space a built in vice is not really an option. I would highly recommend building a Moxon vise, which can be clamped just about anywhere. I built mine last year, as well as a rolling fold up assembly table, and those 2 portable devices are used on almost every project I build, and can be put away at night. There are lots of versions, here’s mine.
    BB7B9A41-1AC2-45CB-9CBF-E82B722BDD6C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Andrews View Post
    I also work out of my garage with a bench that is attached to one wall with drawers underneath. With limited space a built in vice is not really an option. I would highly recommend building a Moxon vise, which can be clamped just about anywhere. I built mine last year, as well as a rolling fold up assembly table, and those 2 portable devices are used on almost every project I build, and can be put away at night. There are lots of versions, here’s mine.
    BB7B9A41-1AC2-45CB-9CBF-E82B722BDD6C.jpg
    Awesome didn't know about those. I will look into this.Thanks!

If you decide to build a Moxon vise, a couple of recommendations. Use light colored wood like Maple or Poplar. It’s very useful to make pencil marks sometimes for repetitive tasks. Line one of the jaws with leather or something similar for better grip. And most importantly, definitely add the back shelf that is flush with the vise jaws. It is very useful for many tasks such as making mortises, or what I was doing today, making handles on cutting boards.
    2C0B35D6-2BAD-473A-B9A4-A2F6F9BFFE91.jpg

If you decide to build a Moxon vise, a couple of recommendations. Use light colored wood like Maple or Poplar. It’s very useful to make pencil marks sometimes for repetitive tasks. Line one of the jaws with leather or something similar for better grip. And most importantly, definitely add the back shelf that is flush with the vise jaws. It is very useful for many tasks such as making mortises, or what I was doing today, making handles on cutting boards.
    2C0B35D6-2BAD-473A-B9A4-A2F6F9BFFE91.jpg
    Thanks. Are there any downsides to it? Does it get in the way of your workflow at all?
    Last edited by John Serna; 03-12-2021 at 2:23 PM.

How thick is the top? That'll be a major factor in determining your options. I have an all-plywood workbench that I threw together out of 3/4" – the top is four layers thick, glued and screwed, and the legs are five layers thick. You could park a car on it and it never moves when planing (or doing anything else, for that matter), and I have a 9" Yost vise on it. Holdfasts work extremely well, too. (I use the Gramercy Tools ones sold by Lee Valley.) If your top is only one layer of 3/4", you're probably very limited in vise options.

Quote Originally Posted by John Serna View Post
    Thanks. Are there any downsides to it? Does it get in the way of your workflow at all?
    My Moxon vise is the perfect solution for my situation, but I’m sure that a quality vise built into a solid, heavy bench would be the most stable for those that have that option. It doesn’t get in the way of my workflow, it enhances it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    How thick is the top? That'll be a major factor in determining your options. I have an all-plywood workbench that I threw together out of 3/4" – the top is four layers thick, glued and screwed, and the legs are five layers thick. You could park a car on it and it never moves when planing (or doing anything else, for that matter), and I have a 9" Yost vise on it. Holdfasts work extremely well, too. (I use the Gramercy Tools ones sold by Lee Valley.) If your top is only one layer of 3/4", you're probably very limited in vise options.
    Yeah, unfortunately it's only one piece of 3/4" ...I think that's why the holdfasts are failing. The plywood just enlarges. I was wondering if attaching maple blocks under the holes would allow the holdfasts to catch tight.

Quote Originally Posted by John Serna View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately it's only one piece of 3/4" ...I think that's why the holdfasts are failing. The plywood just enlarges. I was wondering if attaching maple blocks under the holes would allow the holdfasts to catch tight.
    Probably, but I'd want to make the blocks wide and long enough that you're not essentially creating a lever that's going to warp the plywood during use. Why not add another layer or two of plywood? It's not pretty or elegant, but a plywood benchtop has the advantage of being relatively stable and durable.

My Moxon vise is the perfect solution for my situation, but I’m sure that a quality vise built into a solid, heavy bench would be the most stable for those that have that option. It doesn’t get in the way of my workflow, it enhances it.
    Most Moxon vises I have seen are designed to be clamped to the bench with heavy F or C clamps, so they don't take up benchtop (or -edge) space when you are not using them.

I also use a lot of hand screw clamps for holding work at the bench, whether clamped to the bench by another clamp (hand screw or otherwise), or held in a vise, or whatever. They are very versatile, especially when you have a variety of sizes of them. Don't be afraid to modify them for special purposes (like V notches for holding round stock securely.)

-- Andy - Arlington TX