Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do table saws still use naked cast iron?

Question Why do table saws still use naked cast iron?

Why do table saws still used naked cast iron tables? Is it just a cost issue? The firearms industry has a plethora of metal treatments that could be used to prevent rust and corrosion on equipment. Some of these treatments are a coating and probably wouldn't be appropriate because of scratching. But other treatments actually change the surface of the material at the molecular level. And in the firearms world these treatments are exposed to much harsher environments and use than most table saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gantz View Post
    Why do table saws still used naked cast iron tables? Is it just a cost issue? The firearms industry has a plethora of metal treatments that could be used to prevent rust and corrosion on equipment. Some of these treatments are a coating and probably wouldn't be appropriate because of scratching. But other treatments actually change the surface of the material at the molecular level. And in the firearms world these treatments are exposed to much harsher environments and use than most table saws.
    I think a better question is, why not?

Well since Steel City introduced a Tinitride coating(among other things) and they went out of business, I suspect that there isn't a market for it.

Blog Entries
    Cerakote with a additive to reduce surface friction would be awesome.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Cast iron is stable ,affordable, quiet ,and slick. Platinum is good too....but expensive.

Michael, I suppose you’re asking about rust. We do need to be vigilant to keep our surfaces rust free. In some shopping environments that’s harder than in others. I’m in California, and even through the winter I don’t get rust. I probably wax the tables of my saw, jointer, and bandsaw maybe once a year. That seems to keep me rust free.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 03-08-2021 at 9:42 PM.

Likely a cost issue. Bluing and other firearms coatings sound and look nice. But would you want to pay for all that real estate to be coated likewise?
    Cast iron is relatively inexpensive to cast and machine into a saw top, and easy to keep shiny with a periodic waxing.
    Besides, it is a tool, built for use.

Cast iron adds mass, which reduces vibration. Consider also why modern, premium hand planes are made from ductile cast iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Michael, I suppose you’re asking about rust. We do need to be vigilant to keep our surfaces rust free. In some shopping environments that’s harder than in others. I’m in California, and even through the winter I don’t get rust. I probably wax the tables of my saw, jointer, and bandsaw maybe once a year. That seems to keep me rust free.
    Yes, rust was my primary reason for asking. I realize in some places it's not much of an issue. In my area of Michigan the temperature and humidity swing around like crazy and one must be very vigilant. I was waxing the table saw and was thinking "Man, wouldn't it be nice if this thing had something like the old Glock Tenifer finish." And yes, one would still have to care for the equipment properly. But the chances of serious rust damage would at least be greatly reduced.

I think Tenifer would at least be a possibility. Cerakote would give some interesting options, but that process changes the dimensions of the final product and I'm not sure how consistent its thickness would be across a saw table.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Well since Steel City introduced a Tinitride coating(among other things) and they went out of business, I suspect that there isn't a market for it.
    I wasn't even aware this was once available, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Cerakote with a additive to reduce surface friction would be awesome.
    Considering all the colors that Cerakote is available in, it would certainly add some style to a few shops I'm sure. Though I wonder how many would object to such "outrageousness".

Harvey sells them with a Titanium Nitride top specifically marketed for rust prevention.

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...inet-table-saw

Blog Entries
    I think this is a great perspective and comment. It is industry status quo to offer raw uncoated cast iron that rusts easily. This is true of the market based on history. However, if you were designing the first shop equipment today I'm sure that this would be a critique of the product.

I see some comments about cost and such. It is true that it would add some cost but when you consider the premium sawstop gets for it's safety feature (this isn't a jab at them and it is a great feature - just a comparison of the cost) there seems to be a place in the market for a cost adder that the customers may be willing to absorb. Additionally, the higher end saws aren't priced based on cost but on market segment offering. But just the same it would give them another feature to charge an additional adder.

Personally, if the cost were reasonable, I'd pay the extra if I were buying a new piece of shop equipment even though my shop conditions do well keeping rust down. It isn't worth the premium sawstop gets for it's safety feature obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah Puscheck View Post
    Harvey sells them with a Titanium Nitride top specifically marketed for rust prevention.

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...inet-table-saw
    Well, I learned something new today! How did you find this? Or were you already familiar with their product?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    Personally, if the cost were reasonable, I'd pay the extra if I were buying a new piece of shop equipment even though my shop conditions do well keeping rust down. It isn't worth the premium sawstop gets for it's safety feature obviously.
    Exactly! I have to keep a constant eye on the furnace in the winter and the dehumidifier in the summer otherwise disaster will strike. It's a constant struggle in the summer to reach 50% humidity around here.