Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: flat screwdriver set for my Lie Nielsen hand planes?

Blog Entries
    These are my three screw drivers used on chip breaker screws:

Wide Blade Screwdrivers.jpg

The top one is a cabinet maker's screwdriver that stays in a drawer on the bench with my oil stone set up. The middle one stays on a shelf near my bench and is the one most used for the purpose. It was bought at an auto supply store for an emergency repair when a radiator hose sprung a leak. The bottom one is an old Stanley that has been in my tool kit for about 50 years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    OK, Assaf, with the money you spent on the honing guide you could probably buy five of their screwdrivers.
    I went back and forth a lot over the decision to buy the guide. At the end of the day I decided that anything that increases the accuracy and precision of my work is worth it to me. I’m also new at this, so it’s likely I needed the reassurance. But I’ve had screwdrivers all my life. Designing a slotted screw to not work with 99% of what’s out there is frustrating when my alternatives are to spend $30 plus shipping for an admittedly beautiful driver, invest in a lathe and grinder (which I hope to have someday) or mar the screws. Btw Lie Nielsen isn’t selling them at the moment so I couldn’t if I wanted to.

I absolutely believe that LNs hand planes are worth the money, but I have a choice about that. I could chose an alternative brand. Right now it seems like I can’t get an alternative driver that fits.

Blog Entries
    Right now it seems like I can’t get an alternative driver that fits.
    Keep an eye out for something you can purchase and modify. A file can usually work on most screwdrivers. Some have hardened tips which would require a stone to remove and shape the metal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I use this. I like it a lot.

Attachment 454016
    is it good for the Lie Nielsen’s as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Keep an eye out for something you can purchase and modify. A file can usually work on most screwdrivers. Some have hardened tips which would require a stone to remove and shape the metal.

jtk
    I’m with Jim on this. Find an old slot head screwdriver and file the faces parallel. The screw slot is not deep so I don’t think there is a need to get too fancy. It only gets used for a partial turn whenever you sharpen your blade. It took me 30 years to get around to a dedicated screwdriver for this purpose and none of my planes were destroyed in the meantime.
    If you want a custom wood handle, you could make an octagonal one with your new planes!

Assaf, I've got the Lee Valley screwdriver Phil mentioned and yes it works as advertised. I don't think it'd be good on anything other than the chip breaker and lever cap screw but it fits those fine.

Good luck and thanks for asking this question as I'm sure it's something many of us are interested in.

Wes

The Lee Valley plane screwdriver sits on my sharpening sink, all the time. That's the only screwdriver I've used, or needed, on any plane for decades. It works fine, and has never buggered up a screw head.

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    is it good for the Lie Nielsen’s as well?
    Yes as well as vintage Stanley chip-breaker screws.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

thank you all, I think if it is of general interest I will tell you what ended up happening.

1) I ordered the Lee Valley plane screwdriver - it isn't as pretty but it is $20 vs LN's $30 (thank you to the recommendations)
    2) I looked at Grace USA - they had a set on Lee Valleys website, no size information though, so I asked them. tip sizes are as follows
    # blade diameter X tip thickness
    #2 .150 X .023

#4 .195 X .036
    #6 .235 X .040
    #8 .275 X .044
    #10 .280 X .053
    #12 .375 X .056
    #14 .390 X .065

they also offer to do custom ground tips for $20 a piece. overall I got an extremely fast response from them and was very pleased. they do not however make a blade wide enough for the plane.

I didn't check the handle and tote screws because I don't think they will be coming off any time soon, but beyond those three, the screws seem relatively standard and I found that a decent run of the mill screwdriver can get to them without marring the finish (mine are hollow grind).

Thank you everyone who helped!
    Last edited by Assaf Oppenheimer; 03-09-2021 at 3:44 PM.

Woodcraft/Woodriver also sales screwdrivers for planes

i use my gun kits for many things other than guns. They are filed with straight sides and do not cam out of screw heads. For larger needs I will use a screwdriver that has seen better days and file it to smooth straight sides. You need to be careful on the first few uses until it proves it is good enough for the better applications

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-sets/magna-tip-super-sets--prod417.aspx

Another option is to make your own screwdrivers, as I did; using your wood of choice, screwdriver blades found on the internet, and brass tubing. I copied a Lie-Nielsen that I had and made a set of commonly-used screwdrivers. Where I wanted the custom blades such as for the chipbreaker screw, I bought L-N. In the photo, the hex shaft is the driver I made, and the other is L-N.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I use this. I like it a lot.

Attachment 454016
    + 1 (extraneous characters to meet post minimums)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    + 1 (extraneous characters to meet post minimums)
    LOL!

Did you know a return and some spaces can be the extraneous characters?

jtk

I've been using this Craftsman for ~30 years. No idea where it came from. It's also my go-to can opener
    20210310_115205[1]_DxO.jpg
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work