Thread: 1951 Chevy Truck Wood Bed Finish

Blog Entries

1951 Chevy Truck Wood Bed Finish

My dad and I have been working on a ‘51 Chevy 3100 truck for quite a while, and I finally pulled his arm to redo the bed of the truck. It has a beautiful patina green to it and is in great shape. We are going to make the wooden rails on the bed sides as well as redo the wooden slats in the bottom. I’m pretty sure I’m going to book match 8/4 walnut for everything (milled to 3/4 thickness). My dad is going to abuse the snot out of this - it is in his nature, which I am totally fine with. I thought it would be fun to add a subtle flair from something pretty that is not oak or pine.
    I really have no clue on the proper finish and would like suggestions. I figured boat builders would have a good idea. He will keep the truck in the garage primarily but I don’t want him to have to baby it either. He wanted to use a darker wood, and I love the beauty of finished walnut, as opposed to something else stained. I’m open for suggestions that differ from that as well. Thanks for the help.

As I remember (and I'm sure this is documented somewhere) the bed in mine was painted to match the body color. Not that there was much paint left by the time I was driving it! If you want to go clear I'd think about a clear penetrating epoxy finish for outdoor use. I'd be sure to finish the boards on all sides prior to installation.

Walnut is gorgeous -- for interior furniture. However, it is fairly soft, so it scratches and dents more easily than harder woods. I'd suggest ipe. It is three times harder than walnut. It is also quite durable outdoors. Both of those properties are why it is commonly used for decks.

Blog Entries
    Ya, I was having some sort of brain malfunction when I thought that walnut could withstand my dad. We went with white oak instead and am still trying to figure out the proper finish.

There is an outstanding forum for those trucks at least my year. IPE would be nice but its heavy. Also think the wood and finish can work with or compliment the truck colour

Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-09-2021 at 12:00 PM.