Thread: New Shop Helper

Blog Entries

New Shop Helper

Lowell mention his "new toy" in the Off Topic field, so here is my "new toy" > https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...r?item=99W9732

Head Band Magnifieer.jpg

It has five different magnifying lenses and an ability to use two of them together. This is sure to help my aging eyes see those ever smaller saw teeth.

So far just a quick check with a 3.5 magnification lens and a dovetail saw has me excited.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Although I have not used that particular style, I am a huge fan of things similar to this. I have used for a wide variety of things. it keeps my hands free when I need to see things up close. I have used while looking at saws for sharpening (not that I am great at sharpening saws), removing splinters from fingers, etc.

Nice price. Oh, and I also like the ones with built-in illumination (like yours).

I bought several different types of those, trying to find ones I could use, but they all gave me headaches, and changed the location of exactly where anything was just enough to be aggravating. I don't wear glasses, other than sunglasses, so that may be a factor, since I'm not used to any kind of correction in front of my eyes.

I do have a few magnified lamps, for various purposes, but those aren't used for any length of time.

Blog Entries
    I don't wear glasses, other than sunglasses, so that may be a factor, since I'm not used to any kind of correction in front of my eyes.
    It may be wearing glasses for the last 25 years or so has helped me get used to having lenses move things around. For me these actually worked better for me with my glasses off when using the maximum magnifier tried out yesterday. It may be different with a lower magnification.

About 50 years ago the magnifying headsets didn't work too well for me. Of course back then my eyes were good enough to see small stuff without the aid of magnification.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Have had the same LV one for about a year. Works very well for me. I wear trifocals and use the highest power lens on the visor. The focal distance is short but you do what you need to do. I use it to do marking and get saws started. Once I get a cut started I flip the lens up, stand up and cut away. I am then dependent on skill to get it right. Sometimes that doesn’t work quite right. Good thing I have other skills to fix it when that happens😂

I really like my optivisor with the flip down doubling lens...and if I want to get closer, I do that with the magnifying lamp. Only when I need to see something up close. Normally, my 1.75s work for everything.

Jim,

You have cost me some money today. Limited supply they said, so of course in the cart. Then, free shipping with $30 order, so I had to find other items to order.

All in all, a good day.

I was gifted one of these a year or so ago. They are user friendly, sit on the head well, and the optics are better than you might expect (my opinion only).

For the past two years, I've increasingly needed reading glasses to see the ruler in focus, let alone the eighths or smaller. A year before that I found that when doing close up work for another hobby (miniature painting) I needed more. I got an optivisor, similar to this. it was a Godsend. Focal distance takes a bit getting used to, but boy is this just the thing for splinter removal and reading those tiny 32nd and 64ths on a ruler.