Thread: Subjective review of 600 grit CBN purchase

Subjective review of 600 grit CBN purchase

After converting from white wheels to a 180 grit CBN a couple years ago, I started wondering about finer grit CBN. I actually inquired here about it and got a mixed bag of answers but some folks had them and liked them. I did end up buying one (8" on a Rikon 1 hp slow speed grinder) and have been using it a while. I've not been compiling objective measurements comparing the edges from 180 and 600, these are just my subjective observations.

It's surprisingly aggressive. I guess all CBN's are when they're new, but just because it's fine doesn't mean it doesn't remove metal. It also generates notably more heat when grinding. I've more than once blued some steel when accidentally pausing. This isn't supposed to affect modern high speed steels, but it does get your attention.

The tool rides very smoothly on the wheel, so it's easy to use a light touch when grinding -- there's essentially no "bounce" from the abrading of the steel. The 180 grit CBN is way, way smoother than the 120 white wheel I used to use, but the 600 is notably smoother than the 180 grit CBN. If you have repeatable setups on your grinder, you can sharpen with removing very little steel. Using a 600 grit does make it a little more important to get a reproducible setup, because it takes longer to grind to the edge if you set up a little bit on the heel.

I like the edge. I hear statements that the edge from a coarser grit lasts longer. I don't really have an opinion on that from my experience, there are so many differences among woods, even woods within the same species, and I haven't tried to do any kind of actual head to head comparison. What I will say is that I've gotten some amazing cuts since getting it (which may or may not be cause/effect).

The experience that prompted me to write this came a few days ago when I was turning a sphere from a piece of mulberry, and I was taking some pictures along the way to show steps in the process, in case I put together a tutorial on the process I use for freehanding spheres (which is an agglomeration of tips I've picked up from watching the tutorials of many others). I was looking at the pictures later and saw the one below of the endgrain cut. I was just using a smart phone but for some reason the focus was just right and you could see really see how clean the cut was by the detail in the end grain. This cut was with a 1/2" Thompson V flute bowl gouge sharpened on the 600 grit CBN. With the sphere in this end grain orientation, I use a high shear angle cut with the bevel rubbing, bringing the tool from near the centerline of the lathe outward (that's actually the downhill cut when the sphere is in this orientation, even though it's opposite a normal spindle cut). Second pic is a zoomed in bit of the first. The lines are just pencil lines marking the second equator of the sphere. There's a tiny bit of crushing and dust in the pores, but I'd say that's a pretty clean end grain cut. How much credit the 600 grit CBN gets I'm not sure, but the edge had to have been pretty darn sharp.

Capture18.JPGCapture19.jpg

I'm not at all suggesting a 600 grit CBN is any kind of necessity. But I have become convinced it does give an awfully keen edge. I will suggest that it's hard for me to imagine anyone that's currently using white wheels not being happy with converting to a CBN wheel, and I would recommend the 180 grit as the first one to get. The 600 grit wheel I have is a Woodturner's Wonders. I've no reason to think it's any different than others, but I've no way to know.

Best,

Dave

I don't think you can get a much cleaner cut than that. Appreciate your insight on the 600 grit wheel.

If I am having tear out issues with a piece of wood, particularly if it is kind of punky, that is when I have to go with the 600 grit edge. Also better for the skew, which still needs to be honed, even if you use a 1000 grit wheel. The 180 will do 90%+ of all the cutting you need to do, but the 600 is essential some times. I have never been able to get as good of an edge with the hand held honing sticks or cards, or bench stones. That could be me as that method seems to be very popular...

robo hippy

After receiving a 180 and 600 set of wheels yesterday I've been experimenting w/ each. Glad to hear this feedback. I was surprised how quickly the 600 grit removes material. Stark contrast to moving up to finer diamond stones for hand tools - finer cuts faster instead of slower when dealing with CBN wheels. Edge-wise I've been sharpening my gouges on the 600 grit and been very pleased with the results. I'm ecstatic to finally have sharp tools. Now I need to get into honing more. I've added the Arno carbide burnisner and am thinking about the Lacer teardrop diamond hone...madness 😅

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Mattsen View Post
    After receiving a 180 and 600 set of wheels yesterday I've been experimenting w/ each. Glad to hear this feedback. I was surprised how quickly the 600 grit removes material. ...
    You'll find the wheel will "settle down" after some use and become less aggressive.