Thread: Question about a 1910 Oliver Machinery Catalog

Question about a 1910 Oliver Machinery Catalog

I bought a box of woodworking books a little while back. Most are older, although there are a few interesting books. One that caught my eye was an Oliver Machinery Company Catalog #16, dated 1910.

Anyone out there that collects or knows the value of old machinery catalogs. I don't participate on the Old Woodworking Machinery forum or I'd ask there. Here are a couple of pictures. The book is in good condition and has 448 pages.

Mike

Oliver-01.jpgOliver-02.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi Mike,
    It wouldn't help if you did participate on OWWM, one of the basic rules there is they don't give appraisals. And I don't know what old catalogs go for, sorry. Vintage Machinery works to provide scans of old machinery documentation. If they don't have this catalog already, please consider having them scan it before you sell.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Hi Mike,
    It wouldn't help if you did participate on OWWM, one of the basic rules there is they don't give appraisals. And I don't know what old catalogs go for, sorry. Vintage Machinery works to provide scans of old machinery documentation. If they don't have this catalog already, please consider having them scan it before you sell.
    Chuck
    Thanks for the warning, Chuck. I was going to register and post my question there. I don't think the book is that rare - I'm pretty sure others have a copy. I'll just put it on eBay at some high price and gradually drop the price over time until someone buys it.

I did search OWWM and found some references to the book.

Thanks for posting.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi mike can look to see if there’s a pic of the 166 jointer in there.

Here’s the one I have wondered if yours is different
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Hi mike can look to see if there’s a pic of the 166 jointer in there.

Here’s the one I have wondered if yours is different
    Nope, I don't see a 166 jointer in the catalog. They have a #12, #14, #144, and #100. That's all they have in jointers.

It's interesting to look at some of the equipment and the lack of safety features. For example, on the bandsaws all of the upper wheels are open. And on some of the models, the lower wheel is open.

Mike

Oliver-03.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-08-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Someone will buy it, for sure. It’s f-fem-a-ruh ! That means stuff that usually falls apart...but didn’t ! So it’s a really good one !
    Looks like it’s got the old clay coated pages.

Thanks for checking and replying back Mike .I like reading the description of machines in catalogs.
    For instance “ a fine versatile production machine entirely suited to practically any situation.”
    Just they way they describe stuff takes me back in time
    Good Luck with your sale
    Aj