Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

8 Mar 2021

Greetings,
    The day job eased up a bit and I was able to have some much needed "down time" from I.T. work.
    A local luthier passed away earlier this year (1 hours drive from me) and I was able to purchase 2 of his woodworking machines from his family that was selling all his tools and wood. This is what I got:

sander.jpg

And

shaper.jpg

The shaper was only uncrated and left sitting in his garage since it was purchased several years ago. The sander was inside his environmentally controlled guitar shop and rarely used for anything but sanding acoustic guitar body parts. He completed 5 guitars before he started his battle with cancer. I was able to purchase both for less than the cost of the shaper alone. I am grateful for the machines and was glad to help the family by purchasing the machines.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, So glad to hear that your day job has given you a little respite. Congratulations on the machines and thank you for helping his family by purchasing them. It sounds like a win/win.

Spent most of my productive weekend time at our son's home, again. I had some "near boiler" plumbing work to do for him as he installed another zone of radiant floor heat. While I was there, I helped him refasten the living room subfloor. Next weekend we'll start checking and adjusting the ceiling and walls for flatness so we can start hanging drywall in the living room. We went for a Sunday afternoon drive to pickup some unused Craftsman Style doors he found on Facebook for a great price.

Hopefully, I'll get back into my shop this week and finish up the jig I'm making for cutting edge grooves on the table saw.

I, too, picked up a couple of new machines this weekend. I rented a box truck (boy do I miss my pickup) and headed out to the lehigh valley to pick up my new (to me) jointer and planer from a fellow creeker (Thanks again, James!). Was a bit of a challenge getting them in and out of the truck but not nearly as bad as I had envisioned. Super happy to have these in my shop now! I will probably put my dewalt lunch box planer up for sale here in the classifieds before posting it to my go-to craigslist, since this was such a pleasant experience. It was great meeting someone from here in person and talking some shop while we were getting everything loaded up.

Next up I will need to do some electrical work in my shop, as I have to add a couple more 240 outlets now. After that, I need to take on the overwhelming, and way out of my comfort zone, task of installing the helical head in the planer.
    grizzly.jpgjet.jpg
    Last edited by Zac Martin; 03-08-2021 at 8:55 AM. Reason: added photos

Jealous about the drum sander.

I took a seemingly easy job and turned it into a 3hr sanding exercise when I started nit picking over some imperfect dado joints. I sure am glad I spent the time long ago learning how to sharpen my 1" wide card scraper. That darn thing is always so handy.
    cutlery-sm.jpg

knifeblk_sm.jpg

Zac,
    The helical head / shelix head for that planer is about 100% identical to my Powermatic 15" planer. The install was not that hard and went quicker than I expected. Get some gear oil to replace the old oil in the gearbox when you take it apart to take out the old cutter head and install the new. You will have really good success with this setup going forward.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    I'm almost finished with a couple of drawers for a cabinet for the router table. Just have to make a couple of fronts for the drawers and put pulls on them. Working from home means I get more shop time, but the projects still go slowly.dust box and drawers.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Zac,
    The helical head / shelix head for that planer is about 100% identical to my Powermatic 15" planer. The install was not that hard and went quicker than I expected. Get some gear oil to replace the old oil in the gearbox when you take it apart to take out the old cutter head and install the new. You will have really good success with this setup going forward.
    Thanks Dennis, that is encouraging. Hopefully if I just take my time and stay organized I'll make it through without too much incident. The gear oil, gasket, and new bearings were all included with the sale so I should be covered there.

A lot of new tool for creekers this week, congrats!

I got my desk carcasses finished and moved into the office. So thankful I built them so they come apart for moving!

IMG_0987a.jpg

IMG_0988a.jpg

Have all the stock for the drawers rough milled and am letting it sit for a couple of days and then will final mill and cut the dovetails. Will work on odds and ends in the mean time. It's supposed to be in the 60's here this week so I may do some outside chores too.

Huge score on those machines, Denni!!!

This past week was very busy with having our offer accepted on for our "downsize" property and the subsequent inspections, "digital paperwork", etc. Some more things came off the punch-list I have for prepping this property for sale, too. My older daughter Tia helpe me sort, bag and document a whole bunch of donation stuff that I subsequently dropped off to get it all out of the house. (more of that work remains) But I also did a little "woodworking", too. I've been using a 5x8 utility trailer for hauling material, etc., since 2006 and I never bought the aluminum sides that were available back then for whatever reasons. There have been times that I've really regretted that and it's now been rectified...when I need it flat and open, no problem. When having 2' tall sides all around benefits the task at hand, I now have that option. The bottom board in the front can be removed so I can carry some longer boards without taking the whole enclosure off, too.

IMG_9085.jpg IMG_9086.jpg

This week I have more punch list as well as some CNC work for a client.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats Dennis on the new iron acquisitions. I have the Woodtek version of that same sander. Same machine but different color. Its been getting a workout over the last few months making around 100 cutting boards.
    Speaking of which, I am finishing up the latest batch of boards for clients/friends, and will begin putting the Rockler finger joint jig to task making some serving trays.

I finished up my Moxon vise w/integrated bench. Nice to have the additional height relative to my small assembly table that has doubled as a small workbench. I need to decide on a finish for it but didn't wait for that to press it into service on Sunday. Managed to finesse placement of some supports with bronze bushings for the acme rods, jaw opens smoothly (and far more than it needs to) without droop. Really pleased with it so far.

2021-03-01 15.25.17.jpg

Also bought a 30-40 yr old Craftsman 6" jointer, one of the hobbyist models with the non-adjustable, integrated outfeed table. Fits in my garage where a standard 6" would not; will do just fine for now. Definitely not as pretty as Zac's Grizzly.

Very nice moxon Leo. The addition of the dog holes is very smart. May have to steal that. You're gonna find more uses for it than you think. Curious where you got the hand wheels from.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Butler View Post
    I finished up my Moxon vise w/integrated bench. Nice to have the additional height relative to my small assembly table that has doubled as a small workbench. I need to decide on a finish for it but didn't wait for that to press it into service on Sunday. Managed to finesse placement of some supports with bronze bushings for the acme rods, jaw opens smoothly (and far more than it needs to) without droop. Really pleased with it so far.

2021-03-01 15.25.17.jpg

Also bought a 30-40 yr old Craftsman 6" jointer, one of the hobbyist models with the non-adjustable, integrated outfeed table. Fits in my garage where a standard 6" would not; will do just fine for now. Definitely not as pretty as Zac's Grizzly.
    love this! I built a moxon myself several years ago. I made my own wooden threaded 'hardware'. It was my first time doing that and it is pretty frustrating to use. I need to either redo the threaded components or replace with a nice iron kit like you used.

More work on the bathroom - installed the vanity I built. I also milled down all the poplar into molding for window / door casements and baseboard, also for the bathroom and got it primed ready for paint. It's nice to save some money on materials - $60 for all the poplar - kiln dry in the rough or about $200 in S4S - plus the fun of using my tools. I guess I could say that for the vanity build as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Very nice moxon Leo. The addition of the dog holes is very smart. May have to steal that. You're gonna find more uses for it than you think. Curious where you got the hand wheels from.
    Bill, I bought the bulk of the hardware from McMaster. I opted for handwheels that don't have a handle so I could make short nubby ones that don't stick out very much. Using a loose 3/8" bolt for the time being but the wheels spin well and I may just not add them.

Mine is based upon one that Jonathan Katz-Moses goes through the process of making in a Youtube video. Search for "Hardwood Moxon Vise Workbench on a Budget" and you'll quickly find it. Of course, the "on a budget" is a bit silly considering the cost of the wood didn't get factored in. We've all got a pile of 8/4 maple laying around that was basically free, right?

There was a big "oops" in the rear jaw. McMaster sent me bolts that had two different outside dimensions. I didn't notice this and I laid out the hexagonal mortise for both of them using the larger nut. Couldn't get the larger sized nut from McMaster and the cost for getting one from Roton would have run me about $23 due to shipping. I instead shimmed the nut but there was a small offset in the position compared to the other one so the front jaw was rotated slightly. One of those things you just don't think could go wrong, ya know?