Thread: Spray Gun Lubricant

Spray Gun Lubricant

I started using Devilbiss Spray Gun Lubricant on my do everything gun a couple of years ago when it had to be replaced due to a bad seal that couldn't be fixed even with a replacement. I have no clue whether or not this stuff will extend the life of the seals but my gut tells me it will. Reinstalling the needle feels a lot smoother is it slides through both seals and I have not had to adjust the packing glands since I got the gun despite changing between the three different needle sizes dozens of times. A bottle of the stuff costs about $15 and should last me forever.

Anyone else using gun lubricant?

John

I didn't know the stuff existed...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Earlex setup came with a small container of what looks like plumber's (silicone) grease. A little dab'll do ya.

Interesting, learn something everday on SC. From the product's Safety Data Sheet (SDS).

1.1 Product identifier
    Product Name : Spray Gun Lube
    Product Code : DeVilbiss Automotive Refinishing Part No. SSL-10 and SSL-13
    Product Description : Spray Gun and Paint Mixing Equipment Lube.
    SDS # : SDS-5 REVISION #: 3.0.1
    CHEMICAL FORMULA:Oleic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Palamitic, Stearic Acid, Ricinoleic Liquid.
    CAS NUMBER : Not Applicable.
    Article Code : Not Applicable.
    GENERAL USE : A green tinted solution of proprietary chemicals that is used as a spray gun and paint
    mixing equipment lube.
    DATE REVISED: 06/19/2015 DATE PREPARED: 06/19/2015

My SprayFine rig came with a small container of a grease. The instructions say to dab a little on the shaft of the needle in the area where it will be passing through the seal.

Stuff feels sort of like Vaseline, resembles it in color too. No other description on the little plastic "can". About the same amount as you would fit into a Carmex tin.

But I use it when changing needles or after cleaning the gun and no complaints. Both guns came with a can so I've probably got a lifetime supply at my rate of use.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Blog Entries
    Looks like cooking oil from the chemicals listed in the msds.