Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drum sander resin buildup

I watched this and since I had a couple of polycarbonate scraps I tried it. I didn’t get good results. It cleaned a little but not any better than the cleaning stick and it sands away quickly.
    Charlie Jones

Hello, did you ever figure out a way to do this? I sand 1x6 boards that are 6' long. I have wanted to buy a jet drum sander but heard this is an issue with pine. It would be a complete waste of money if I bought the drum sander and I couldn't use it because it gummed up. Your advice would be much appreciated.

I have resorted to other methods to sand pine. Nothing seems to keep the drum wrap from loading. The Abranet showed promise but kept tearing. It may be OK if I change the attachment to hook and loop. Right now I am on to other things. Even a hand held belt sander loads up but belts are cheaper.
    Charlie Jones

After some experiments I have converted the drum to hook and loop. I ordered some Mirka Abranet Ace Heavy Duty wrap. The regular Abranet didn’t work very well but I must say this stuff is amazing. I had the best results with the drum lightly touching the stock. I haven’t tried pine yet but It seems to be a game changer. It cuts much faster. Thanks to the others who have done this.
    Charlie Jones

Not that it's much help but with pine I try to take light passes and set the speed to as fast as it will go. I think this keeps the drum from heating up as much so the resin doesn't burn onto the paper. But I usually avoid pipe to begin with.