Thread: My revolving tool station

Blog Entries

My revolving tool station

IMG_20210307_074236.jpgIMG_20210307_074304.jpg
    Here are a couple of pictures of a revolving tool station I made.The top section revolves to allow access to the tools placed on the top while the bottom section revolves to store tools and have easy access to them . The top section also has small sections to provide storage for the tools used on the top.It was even described by my grandson as " pretty cool" the ultimate compliment☺. But, there's always a but, I have it on casters so I can move it around the shop and I made the mistake of not using locking casters so when I rotate the top the whole thing moves. Now I could take the tools off the top, slide the top section off, it only sits on the bottom section, centered by a pipe, turn the whole thing over and put on locking casters, I know that's the proper way to fix it. Can anyone suggest an in place solution so I can avoid all those steps?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Did you put lazy susan bearings under the sections that are supposed to turn?

Locking casters can sometimes be a pain to lock when the casters aren't right on the edge. If you could find a flip down door stop long enough to make the floor, that might work.

Or maybe a telescopic stopper like this would work
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    yes and they do turn OK , but the whole thing turns too. I can put my foot against the caster and it won't turn but I'd like a better solution that that
    Dennis

A very low angle wedge (or 2)? Probably be just as easy pulling them out when you want to move the cabinet as unlocking the wheels would be. Not very elegant tho.

I love this idea. I have a space under a work table that will be perfect for something like that. I could store all my routers and sanders there and free up tons of shelf space.

Blog Entries
    Here is how I lock my mobile jointer in place so it doesn't move when I'm using it.
    jointer feet.jpg
    I can flip the levers up or down with my foot or by hand.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I was thinking simple wedges too. Another possibility is those foot operated workbench lifter thingies Rockler sells.

Sorry, can't remember the right terminology.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    A very low angle wedge (or 2)? Probably be just as easy pulling them out when you want to move the cabinet as unlocking the wheels would be. Not very elegant tho.

I love this idea. I have a space under a work table that will be perfect for something like that. I could store all my routers and sanders there and free up tons of shelf space.
    Dave
    If you've interested I got the plans from woodsmith plans.com. Lots of wasted plywood as you cut out all the circles involved, and don't let me forget, lots and lots of tiny plywood splinters😕
    Dennis

I have created a similar 'carousel' tool cart. I started with a heavy base and then added about 50# of sand. Then 3 round shelves build on a commercial 12" d lazy-susan ring. The whole thing is mounted on GOOD caster, [I believe they are rated 150" each, Rockler] I have no trouble with the base moving when I spin the upper shelves.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here is how I lock my mobile jointer in place so it doesn't move when I'm using it.
    jointer feet.jpg
    I can flip the levers up or down with my foot or by hand.
    Lee

That looks like it would work for me. Can you tell me what they’re called and where you bought them?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Lee

That looks like it would work for me. Can you tell me what they’re called and where you bought them?
    Thanks
    They are Destaco clamps. The ones I have are their Straight Line 605 type. They are available through any number of sources. There are also other brands with similar functions.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute