Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Household Tip: Fix for poorly flushing toilet

Household Tip: Fix for poorly flushing toilet

Clean the siphon valve!

I'm bringing this up, because for me, it was nearly a miracle cure. Maybe it will help someone else. Here's the long story.

My toilet just would not fully empty. I made every adjustment, ran every test, cleaned out the jets with a coat hanger, etc. No improvement - there just wasnt enough water getting in there. When it got to the point that even multiple flushes wouldnt help, I was ready to just replace it. But this toilet is 22 months old. So what the heck?

Having nothing to lose, I went to YouTube to look for ideas before buying the replacement. I stumbled on to a vid that explained that there is a "siphon valve" at the bottom of the bowl in the front. Apparently this thing is crucial to getting enough flushing water into the bowl.

The vid said to put on a glove, stick your finger in the hole and scrape out the scale - various chemicals that condense out of tapwater as solids. Sure enough, there was literally a pile of this scale stuff filling much of that hole. This surprised me, because I dont have many hardwater problems with sinks, shower, etc. But anyway, I dug out that scale and then flushed. That toilet worked like new! Today I soaked the bowl in "heavy duty" vinegar (9% acetic acid) for a couple hours. The porcelain inside that hole is smooth and clean again. I'll be doing this with both toilets occasionally now.

There are several vids that explain how to do this if you want more info.

I hope this helps some other frustrated person.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-06-2021 at 8:12 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Frederick, that sounds like an excellent fix for a GOOD toilet ! But it won’t do much for one of those ‘80’s “water saving” toilets! They didn’t
    save water ....just flushed on the “installment plan” to use MORE water ! Beaurocrats failed at designing toilets ,but do deserve a chance to
    clean them!

One thing I noticed when I got a fancy Toto (not the Band though Steve Lukathur does have Toto toilets) the hole size from top bowl to the bottom is larger so more bang for the buck, flushing with more authority. Sort of like getting the SCM planer after the General planer, the General took the wood, the SCM rips it out of your hands. .

Had that same problem in our mobile home some friends are renting. Identical toilets in the main bath and master bath, but the main bath wouldn't flush right. Turns out that section of sewer pipe was running slightly uphill. For 20 years there was no problem but seems the pipe finally accumulated enough standing water that the 1.2 gallon flush couldn't push past it...

A plumber with a camera figured that out for us
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Today I soaked the bowl in "heavy duty" vinegar (9% acetic acid) for a couple hours.
    Where can one find "heavy duty" vinegar?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    It's often referred to as "Cleaning Vinegar". Most hardware stores will carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Where can one find "heavy duty" vinegar?

jtk
    Jim, I found it at my local grocery store. They call it "extra strength" vinegar, at 9% acetic acid. It's about $3 for a gallon. As Dave said, I also found some similar products online called "cleaning vinegar".

I like the idea of using something "natural" like vinegar rather than something stronger like Muratic Acid.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    It's often referred to as "Cleaning Vinegar". Most hardware stores will carry it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Jim, I found it at my local grocery store. They call it "extra strength" vinegar, at 9% acetic acid. It's about $3 for a gallon. As Dave said, I also found some similar products online called "cleaning vinegar".

I like the idea of using something "natural" like vinegar rather than something stronger like Muratic Acid.
    Thanks for the replies. That is something to try for getting iron stains out of my toilets.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Most vinegar is 5%, most cleaning vinegar I've seen is only 6%, never seen 9% before...

But I Have seen THIS stuff at HD--

30pc.jpg

Since the water in the bowl is going to dilute it anyway, might as well get the GOOD stuff!

---wear gloves...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Holy Moly Kev. 30%? That's some serious stuff!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-07-2021 at 8:26 PM.

DollarTree carries cleaning vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    One thing I noticed when I got a fancy Toto (not the Band though Steve Lukathur does have Toto toilets) the hole size from top bowl to the bottom is larger so more bang for the buck, flushing with more authority. Sort of like getting the SCM planer after the General planer, the General took the wood, the SCM rips it out of your hands. .
    I agree with that. I replaced several problem toilets with Toto toilets and never had a problem with them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Most vinegar is 5%, most cleaning vinegar I've seen is only 6%, never seen 9% before...

But I Have seen THIS stuff at HD--

30pc.jpg

Since the water in the bowl is going to dilute it anyway, might as well get the GOOD stuff!

---wear gloves...
    Or try Glacial Acetic Acid. It's essentially strong vinegar.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Photo supply stores used to have a very strong Acetic Acid used as a stop solution after the developing in an alkali solution.

When was the last time you saw a photo supply store for film cameras?

jtk

There is one thing.....
    I've been leery of strong cleaning solutions for years, because I once had the flapper valve of my Toto disintegrate after using a strong Acetic Acid solution;
    I can't tell you of any other fixes (we have blessedly soft water here), but make sure you have a line on a new falpper valve.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.