Thread: Remove the Old…Build the New…Get a new TV

Remove the Old…Build the New…Get a new TV

Right after Christmas, I was informed we were tired of our old built-in entertainment center. It was news to me but after 39 years, one learns not to argue. The carrot on the end of the string was a new, larger-screened TV. Again, one doesn’t argue!!!

Having never used ash, I decided to go in that direction and ordered 100BF. I wanted to make more of a piece of furniture this time and ended up with sort of a hybrid. The credenza is in fact a separate piece and the “backboard” is actually mounted to the wall. When together, it appears to be one piece but it can be separated in the eventuality of having to replace a component or other maintenance.

The doors slide in dados (I guess technically grooves) in the top and bottom. Instead of using a wooden panel, speaker mesh was used to allow the components to breath and the remotes to work properly. There are also gaps in the rear panel for circulation. The middle section, behind the shelves, is offset from the rear of the unit to create a shelf area in the back. That’s where the battery backup/surge protection rests along with all the cords. You cannot see anything underneath except for the legs.

I wanted the base to be minimalistic in nature so it is just 2” square legs with the front and side rails M&T’d. The base was designed so the credenza rides just above the base molding so I didn’t have to remove it. Yes, I am that lazy!

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Sure there are things I messed up on; but, that’s what makes it home-made (he says with tongue in cheek). The only wire you can see was actually my fault. I forgot to feed the optic cable for the sound bar up the inside of the wall with the others. You can see it in one of the pictures but it’s really not noticeable looking at the unit. It can be fixed but it would require taking the TV down. Yes, I’m that lazy!

Stained and a couple coats of wipe-on poly and I’m calling it done. I’ve mentioned it before but finishing is not my strong-suit. Now I just wait for the next thing we’re tired of and this time I’m hoping it's a new table saw on the end of the string!!!

20210129_211115.jpg 20210306_164025.jpg 20210306_164041.jpg20210306_164114.jpg20210306_165015.jpg 20210306_164129.jpg
    A wannabe woodworker!

I like it. Coincidentally it is the same design as i have planned, just haven't had time to get to it yet.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I like the overall design of that piece...it highlights the function and accommodates the very safe "wall mount" method for the display itself. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    I like it. Coincidentally it is the same design as i have planned, just haven't had time to get to it yet.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I like the overall design of that piece...it highlights the function and accommodates the very safe "wall mount" method for the display itself. Bravo!
    Thank you both. I realize it's not the fine furniture most of you guys make, but someday I'll get there.

Oddly my original concept was to have it entirely hung on the wall. In doing so, it would allow the Roomba to do its thing unobstructed...lol. But it's an older house and the studs are cheap, very thin steel studs, not wood. I was concerned it wouldn't be able to handle the weight of the equipment, let alone the wood. So I figured this was the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by David Lageman; 03-06-2021 at 9:47 PM.
    A wannabe woodworker!

David, I think you are downplaying what you achieved there...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I think that looks GREAT...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I like it. I think if it had full width side panels all the way up it would be too much wood for my taste, but as is it seems like a solid but not overwhelming presence.

Also, two piece is brilliant, much easier to move around or get out of the house - hopefully 39 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    David, I think you are downplaying what you achieved there...
    Not trying to downplay it Jim, jut envious of some of the work I've seen on this forum. I am quite happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I think that looks GREAT...
    Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I like it. I think if it had full width side panels all the way up it would be too much wood for my taste, but as is it seems like a solid but not overwhelming presence.

Also, two piece is brilliant, much easier to move around or get out of the house - hopefully 39 years from now.
    Couldn't agree more Scott...it was borderline too much wood for me as well, but I ended up with a nice balance I think. It really does look good in the space.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Looks fantastic. Great design idea.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.