Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift table for woodworking?

Lift table for woodworking?

A friend of mine offered me a Southworth lift table. I was thinking it might be good to have as a woodworking bench base or other adjustable height working surface. It's an absolute beast capable of lifting 4000 lbs. with twin hydraulic cylinders operated by an electric motor driven hydraulic pump. Does this have any merits in a wood/metal working shop? Space is becoming a premium in my shop after acquiring more stationary tools so I don't want to consume more of it with something that just sits around.

Yes, very valuable and versatile to have around especially if you build big or long stuff or do cabinetry. I wish I had the space to dedicate to a full sized lift table or two with a 3x7 top.
    Still waters run deep.

Steve,

I first bought a Harbor Freight hydraulic lift table when building my bench. It was really helpful for moving and lifting 100 lbs + slabs of ash. It's been so useful since that when the hydraulics started going out I bought another table, Northern Tool this time. Besides being handy for heavy items I also use it for holding parts during milling and assembly. Recently fitted it with a Veritas work surface and risers which gives me another work table with dog holes which is very handy.

If you can spare the space it should earn its keep.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Cliff,

Which model do you have now and does it bleed down over time? What size top do you have on it?
    Still waters run deep.

I'm a big fan of adjustable height work surfaces, so if you can accommodate it reasonably in your space, "that would be a yes for me".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As much as I can see its benefits I'm however getting cold feet on the idea. As stated earlier this thing is a beast weighing over 600 lbs.

YES< YES< YES. One of the best tools in my shop. Low for cabinets/large projects. High for smalls, carving, special hand tools.
    10 years ago, I purchased a motor-cycle/snowmobile lift. Mine was pneumatic over hydraulic. Fitted it with a 6" thick top, 42" w x 12' l. Definitely the best shop tool in my line-up. So absolutely superb for many, many projects. Mine was listed for 2,000lb capacity. The top weighed about 600 lbs, if memory serves me. Thus the added load capacity was well over 1,000lbs.

steve - i have a southworth lift table in my shop, a smaller one (1100 lb capacity). love it. it lives behind the planer and wide belt as a dual outfeed table, it's wheeled out to use for certain cabinet assemblies, and it's used to shuttle plywood stacks back to the CNC and easily load the machine. worth every dime. they are built like tanks.

I use a "Harbor Fright" version. It has a supposed capacity of 300lbs, but I wouldn't want to test that. It is incredibly useful at particular moments. -Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Cliff,

Which model do you have now and does it bleed down over time? What size top do you have on it?
    Phillip,

I've got the Ironton 500 lbs model from Northern Tools. 27 3/4in.L x 17 3/4in.W platform. Put the large Veritas work surface with risers.
    Had it for a few months and there's been no bleed down so far. The Harbor Freight table I had before this one bled a lot. Wouldn't hold height overnight.

Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff Polubinsky; 03-07-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Steve,

I have a mobile lift table but I would LOVE to have an electric powered hydraulic table. Check out these two videos to see why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlM0aQ-VpUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBX-AtmSFJA

Each of these guys has other videos where they use the lift tables in builds.

Good luck with your decision.

-Brian
    Last edited by Brian W Evans; 03-07-2021 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Addressed the wrong person

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    steve - i have a southworth lift table in my shop, a smaller one (1100 lb capacity). love it. it lives behind the planer and wide belt as a dual outfeed table, it's wheeled out to use for certain cabinet assemblies, and it's used to shuttle plywood stacks back to the CNC and easily load the machine. worth every dime. they are built like tanks.
    Did your Southworth come with wheels or did you add them.

I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of using the lift table. I was thinking of positioning it behind my table saw for use as an outfeed table and also as an assembly table.

I agree that my lift table (Southworth) is the most valuable tool in the shop. After twenty years of use I never take for granted it's versatility, not to mention a back saving device. The Torsion box is 5" thick, top is 1 1/4 thick, white oak edged then laminated with standard grade laminate to finish at 48 x 102. The 6' overhang for clamping was a good call.

Southworth lift table.jpg
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Buy it.
    Your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Phillip,

I've got the Ironton 500 lbs model from Northern Tools. 27 3/4in.L x 17 3/4in.W platform. Put the large Veritas work surface with risers.
    Had it for a few months and there's been no bleed down so far. The Harbor Freight table I had before this one bled a lot. Wouldn't hold height overnight.

Cliff
    Looking at the Northern Tool site I see this one - https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...6307_200696307

Is that what you have that’s more like a cart style lift table? I could stand to have one or two of those around when I’m running stuff through the jointer and planer and maybe could put them side by side and put a larger top over both to make a much bigger table top. Though it looks like the height of the 500# model is only 28” and the 1000# is more like 35”.

I’d love a big electric lift but I don’t know that I have the budget or space for one in my current shop unfortunately.
    Still waters run deep.