Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My electric car has no sound ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Older women running us down? Who could have guessed?
    Not much different than with shopping carts at the supermarket...
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Blog Entries
    I want a chitty-chitty-bang-bang noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I want a chitty-chitty-bang-bang noise.
    Tardis, for mine please.

I drove a few different all-electric vehicles recently and didn't notice any extra sound, even when going slow. Maybe I couldn't hear it inside the car.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I have read that they might have to put some sort of noise maker in electrics for the sight impaired. My hope is that once all the gas cars are gone, the overall traffic noise will lessen and they can lose the noise maker.

I rode a very quiet for-what-it-was V65 Magna for 7 years, and probably once every 5 trips I had to stop, speed up or move over so whoever didn't see or HEAR me didn't run me down...

I've owned this thing for 29 years,
    hd.jpg
    and not one time while driving it has anyone ever forced me to slow down, speed up or change lanes. Even deaf people can hear (feel) this thing.

And for what it's worth, the tires on cars, especially at speed, are usually the noisiest part OF the car. As a test, pull over under an overpass on a busy freeway, roll the window down and try to make a phone call...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, I had a V45 Magna and it was quiet too. It was always in the garage with messed up carbs.
    For the last 15 years I've owned Harleys. Mechanically they're light years ahead of their previous reputation.
    Around here, with so many aggressive and generally unknowing (AKA DUMB A$$ IGNORANT) drivers I can't be sure any of them have hearing OR eyesight to know I'm there.
    But I'll give it up when they won't let me drive any more.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    ... I can't be sure any of them have hearing OR eyesight to know I'm there.
    But I'll give it up when they won't let me drive any more.
    The first mockup of the F117 stealth fighter had the pilot seated on a scoot, to render him invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    ...I can't be sure any of them have hearing OR eyesight to know I'm there.
    When I drove motorcycles on the road I ALWAYS acted as if I was invisible. That saved me from many close calls or worse.
    I never had that problem with dirt bikes. Never once had a tree pull out in front of me.

Ten years ago, a fellow here had a street legal electric bike/cycle. The first time I saw him go down the street was at dusk. There was no sound at all. At first I though I imagined the thing because it was so quiet. All I could hear was the sound of the vehicles coming the other way. As it turns out, he was in two bad accidents with pedestrians because no one could hear the thing coming. Got to the point that he had to blow the horn every time he saw some one standing on the curb.

John had street and dirt bikes and one Motocross. On a 175 Kawi young on trails guy came around a corner and we hit head on tall grass small trail, we both flew past each other in the air. no one hurt just the bikes front ends bent up. Just the kind of trail and timing. No trees ran out in front of me.

Road bikes yeah stuff happened. People change lanes a few times not knowing I was there and likely I should never have been there. Not ideal when you are on a highway, I could see it really upset them though stunned there was a bike. I only ever went down once and that was coming off the highway onto the ramp and going super slow as it had rained earlier. there was oil from cars on the ramp and maybe a hair of damp, like black ice in the summer, so I did a slow speed thing and it was slow and planted on the ground hitting a curb. broke my crankcase over and more but all repairable. Way back then K81 tires comical compared to todays stuff. Those on CB750 Hondas. Dinasours but I loved them over 4k they just sang. I got my first mini bike at 12 direct drive hold the thing on the spark plug to shut it off. It caught on fire twice second time was good as I got a larger motor and a centrifugal clutch, really moved up in the world, no more getting zapped either.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Ten years ago, a fellow here had a street legal electric bike/cycle. The first time I saw him go down the street was at dusk. There was no sound at all. At first I though I imagined the thing because it was so quiet. All I could hear was the sound of the vehicles coming the other way. As it turns out, he was in two bad accidents with pedestrians because no one could hear the thing coming. Got to the point that he had to blow the horn every time he saw some one standing on the curb.
    I was between 2 cars in my friends driveway last week. I stepped out on the sidewalk and a teenager on an E bike missed me by inches! He was going fast and didn't even look back or stop.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    My Prius Prime plug-in makes a small noise up to about 15 mph to let people know you are moving. I made the dealer silence the back-up beeper which only sounds inside the car. Made me nuts, and pointless to anyone outside the car.
    Not so pointless to the dozens of people who put the car in the wrong gear and plow through store windows every other day. Had two such cases last Friday. One driver 74, the other 83. Had an office in a building with a Chiropractor on the first floor. At least once a week some body drove/backed over the parking lot curbs. Was kind of scary the second time some body actually hit the building.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    When I drove motorcycles on the road I ALWAYS acted as if I was invisible. That saved me from many close calls or worse.
    I never had that problem with dirt bikes. Never once had a tree pull out in front of me.
    My kids gave me a Harley last year for father's day. Haven't ridden in almost 50 years. They expect me to use it, but the few times I was out on it were scary from the standpoint of folks who just plain don't see. So I pretty much stick to country roads.

easy for me to stick to country roads, "take me home" blah blah blah rumble rumble. Something very nice about often being the only one on the road.

P2400632A.jpg