Thread: Finishing afrormosia for a bed

Finishing afrormosia for a bed

Two questions about working with Afrormosia:

1. I've ready that it can darken significantly with time. I'd like it to maintain as much of the lighter teak tone as possible. Suggestions on ways to maximize that?

2. Finish ideas for a bed? It's for my wife and me and we both prefer a "softer" finish (something like danish oil) versus a shiny poly shell. We're also ok with some dings and scratches - they just add character up to a point. Obviously, a bed can get a fair amount of abuse. Is a bed going to be ok with a oil finish?

I realize the answer to these two questions probably contradict one another, as a thick poly seal is probably the best way to prevent darkening. Maybe someone has am agic solution to balance both concerns?

You need a finish with a two component UV package. One component protects the finish itself while the other protects the underlying wood. One finish I know of with that two component package is Sherwin Williams kem Aqua Plus Clear.

https://industrial.sherwin-williams....r.9198017.html

If you use the Medium or Dull Rubbed Effect sheen it will look soft as long as you don't apply too many coats. Unfortunately, I think it's only available in minimum 5 gal pails these days.

John

Thanks, John! Something with an explicit uv absorber sounds like just the ticket!

Milling Afrormosia creates gazillions of tiny, needle-like slivers so, whatever finish you apply, make sure it seals 100%. As far as I know the darkening is unavoidable.

I did a major refit on a French-built Beneteau First 435, a Frers-designed sailboat, which used Afrormosia trim against teak-veneered paneling. the original Afrormosia darkened to extremely dark brown, almost black, which is quite a stark contrast to the teak paneling, which lightens over time with normal exposure to that sunlight which is naturally admitted to a yacht's interior.

Last edited by andy bessette; 03-07-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."