Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those aching feet

Those aching feet

Would anyone mind putting up a link to a good floor mat to combat bad feet and a sore back?
    Where did I put those band aids?

I like 3/4 or so thick neoprene mats, and have them around all work stations. I am fortunate to have a place locally that has every type of mat you could think of, and a few extra. Probably biggest on line source is U Line. I line the ones that have a beveled edge, not the ones that have a 2 to 3 inch flat all the way around them, though that could make for less tripping, unless the shavings are so thick, you are standing on them.

Other than mats, good shoes, with good inserts, and making sure you stand up straight are a big help. A little work on your abbs helps too as they keep your back straight. That is one thing I like about swimming, it works your whole core, front, back, and sides...

robo hippy

Lowes has a thick foam mat. It's in the flooring section. I bought those to use while I'm turning. Works well.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

walmart or costco

Also get a pair of Crocs, they have some nicer ones too but the plain ones work too.

I recently bought a pair of Merrell crocs. The smooth leather kind. I never spend this kind of money on shoes but.....wow!
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

From a "belt and suspenders" standpoint, I'm a +1 on shoe choice in addition to mats. A few years ago I was struggling with plantar fasciitis, and I noticed that after a week of hiking in the Utah desert, it had improved despite hiking for many many miles. I came back home and it started getting worse. Wondered if it was related to shoes, so I wore my (high quality) hiking boots to work and around home/shop, and it went away. I now wear almost exclusively Asolo Cactus approach shoes/boots, and don't have any issues. Not only are they good for my feet, but they have proven unbelievably durable. If you think about it, what footwear is more focused on being kind to your feet than well made hiking shoes/boots?

Best,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mount View Post
    From a "belt and suspenders" standpoint, I'm a +1 on shoe choice in addition to mats. A few years ago I was struggling with plantar fasciitis, and I noticed that after a week of hiking in the Utah desert, it had improved despite hiking for many many miles. I came back home and it started getting worse. Wondered if it was related to shoes, so I wore my (high quality) hiking boots to work and around home/shop, and it went away. I now wear almost exclusively Asolo Cactus approach shoes/boots, and don't have any issues. Not only are they good for my feet, but they have proven unbelievably durable. If you think about it, what footwear is more focused on being kind to your feet than well made hiking shoes/boots?

Best,

Dave
    I get plantar fasciitis flare-ups every now and then. For me, it’s because my calf muscles have gotten too tight. Regular calf stretches can fend off a flare-up if I catch it early, or if it gets too severe, I sleep with an ankle brace that pulls my toe up.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I use the 4x6 ft x 3/4” horse mats from Tractor Supply.

In need of a new pair of shoes/boots so checked them out. Disappointed to find that almost all their substantial shoes/boots have GoreTex in them. Non-starter for me.
    One pair that didn't have GoreTex was offered in size 9 as largest. Back to non GoreTex Scarpa boots I guess.

After years of using mats and still having much pain with plantar fasciitis I went to wearing crocs which helped a lot. However, the pain still returned requiring occasional cortisone shots.

Then I discovered Telic shoes which were much better than crocks, at least for my feet and my arches. They use a softer, spongier material. I wore them daily for at 6 years, wore out several.
    This one and similar models, some with leather: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GC67F1K

Then I discovered Oofos
    . They are FAR better than the other two, at least for my feet and my arches. I can stand on concrete floors for hours with no problems. I am on my feet almost all day and contrary to the warning of my ortho doctor, my foot pain has not returned. I wear them, house, shop, moving horses and llamas around the farm, winter, summer, driving, to the church, home depot, everything. I do switch to boots when working the beehives (since bees love to sting through socks) and when working in mud. I've had four pairs so far. I try to keep one pair nice for going out. Like the earlier shoes, I supplement the Oofos with foot occasional stretching exercises while seated.
    This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AECHSZ4
    In fact these are so good (for MY feet) I just now ordered a spare pair.

I've told numerous people about these, some who work in retail and stand on concrete all day. Some gave me feed back saying the same thing - they do wonders for their feet.

If interested, you might find a dealer near you. My son in SC found them in a store just down the road from him. I bought my first pair from a local store so I could be assured of the fit. However, Amazon has a good return policy.

(PS: I have no stock in the company!)

JKJ

Been using custom orthotics for nearly a decade now - best thing I ever did for my feet and they fit in all my shoes and boots. I originally had a set made by a podiatrist at a very impressive price. Later - at the old Utah Symposium - I was eating and talking with another attendee who mentioned that a local podiatrist in town there - Provo I think - made custom orthotics and sold online both to other podiatrists and end users. I checked recently to see if they were still in business and it seems they are - Custom Orthotics. The price is reasonable compared to other online sources. Over time, I've gotten three pairs, some from my original order ten years ago. They seem to last forever - made from your molds (they ship you a set of mold blanks, you make the molds with their instructions and ship them back) they make the orthotics from hmpe...I'm not affilliated in any way, just a very happy customer. By the way - these cost me about 25% of what the podiatrist charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    Been using custom orthotics for nearly a decade now - best thing I ever did for my feet and they fit in all my shoes and boots. I originally had a set made by a podiatrist at a very impressive price. Later - at the old Utah Symposium - I was eating and talking with another attendee who mentioned that a local podiatrist in town there - Provo I think - made custom orthotics and sold online both to other podiatrists and end users. I checked recently to see if they were still in business and it seems they are - Custom Orthotics. The price is reasonable compared to other online sources. Over time, I've gotten three pairs, some from my original order ten years ago. They seem to last forever - made from your molds (they ship you a set of mold blanks, you make the molds with their instructions and ship them back) they make the orthotics from hmpe...I'm not affilliated in any way, just a very happy customer. By the way - these cost me about 25% of what the podiatrist charged.
    Over the years I've tried numerous custom orthotics, both those ordered by prescription and those done at home by the method you mentioned. All worked somewhat but I didn't find true relief (and I think healing) until I changed my footwear.

My wife, OTOH, has had far more foot problems than I including extensive foot surgery. She has also tried custom orthotics with limited success until she found someone who apparently really knows what he is doing. She has returned several times for small adjustments which have made a big difference. The Oofos don't work at all for her due to the need for side support.

JKJ

In addition to the range of excellent advice provided I would suggest seeing a chiropodist to identify if there are any issues with your feet that require remedial treatment
    Further the chiropodist may be able to provide a diagnosis so you have a greater understanding of why you are experiencing symptoms and what strategies and practical steps( forgive the pun) you can take

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    I use the 4x6 ft x 3/4” horse mats from Tractor Supply.
    Me too. Effective and reasonably priced.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.