Thread: Gel Stain Question

Gel Stain Question

I'm a retired hobbyist who is working on a small project using red beech (?) (the one that has a slight reddish/pinkish tint). I mainly use GF Seal-A-Cell and then Arm-R-Seal, Tung, or Danish oils to finish most of the projects I do. But I want to explore different finishes to change up things and not stick to just one and expand my horizon.

I did a Google/YT search (I did a forum search but didn't find the information I was looking for) and one thing I found was using a gel stain on beech. I've used GF gel stain before but that was on birch plywood. The YT video showed using Zissner Seal Coat (which I have) before applying the gel stain which would give a uniform look to the finish. I followed the instructions of mixing the SC with DNA at a 1:1 ration and letting it sit for 15 minutes then apply the gel stain. I did this and the grain was really popping out as in very visible. I tried it on another piece of scrap this time without thinning it and the grain still popped out but not as much as when thinned.

Will the grain always pop out (be as visible as it is) regardless of what wood sealer I use when using a stain (gel, oil based , water based) on beech, or nay other species of wood I use? What else can I do to not have the grain be as visible as it is. I'm trying to keep the grain looking as natural as possible as when you apply a clear finish.

I also have a can of Zissner Clear Shellac but I don't know if that's a viable option.

Thank you for any advice & help you can provide.

I'd say you haven't sealed the grain enough yet and the stain is highlighting it. You had less grain showing when you used the Sealcoat full strength than cut with DNA, so that's consistent. If that's right, you need to another coat or two of straight Sealcoat first. Clear shellac is OK, too, as long as your are using oil based, and not water based, gel stain.

John

Thanks for the advice John. Much appreciated. I will follow your suggestion and apply additional coats of SC.