Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time Vintage Buy - "Pig Sticker" Mortice Chisel

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Warren you have a remarkable memory for 40 years ago, but do you remember what you had for lunch yesterday?
    Yesterday I had canned corn (Bodacious) and a salami sandwich with pickled peppers. I wish I remembered the pepper variety; nice to get the same plants again.

Forty years ago every woodworker I knew read Fine Woodworking, so this was big stuff. People gradually dropped out as the quality declined. I laughed when I read Klausz's method for hand mortising. He now uses a method close to mine. An old world cabinetmaker can learn hand work here in America.

Update: my sharpening supplies finally came in and I want to restore the chisel. Unfortunately it appears that the previous owners sharpening left an issue - edge isn't square to the blade. this means that my freehand sharpening only duplicates the skew, instead of correcting it. does anyone have a suggestion how I can fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    Update: my sharpening supplies finally came in and I want to restore the chisel. Unfortunately it appears that the previous owners sharpening left an issue - edge isn't square to the blade. this means that my freehand sharpening only duplicates the skew, instead of correcting it. does anyone have a suggestion how I can fix it?
    A slightly crooked edge will tend to pull the chisel a little to one side. Fortunately this chisel has such a great thickness that it will overwhelm the sharpening problem and keep the cut straight. You can adjust the crookedness by leaning very slightly to one side as you sharpen and it does not need to be completely done before you start using the chisel. In fact I would try out the chisel as is before doing anything.

Hold the chisel vertically over the timber and hit it with a mallet or a hardwood branch. Then move it 1/8 inch so the bevel faces away from the previous cut and hit it somewhat deeper, etc.

I'm not sure what you've got, but if the skew is severe, you can make most of the correction with a bench grinder, then use your coarse/medium/fine media. If you don't have a bench grinder, a coarse crystolon is very fast. To correct the skew you press harder on the one side until you're satisfied with the angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    I'm not sure what you've got, but if the skew is severe, you can make most of the correction with a bench grinder, then use your coarse/medium/fine media. If you don't have a bench grinder, a coarse crystolon is very fast. To correct the skew you press harder on the one side until you're satisfied with the angle.
    you think I can use my atoma 400?

additional information which may be helpful

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads...hisels.104521/

Sorry, I don't use them. If it's rated coarse, then go at it. If it's too slow, switch to something else. There are many methods for grinding tools, and everybody has their own opinion about it. I described above what I would do, it's not necessarily the best, but I aim for cheap.

Blog Entries
    Is it just me or do diamond stones seem to become smooth quicker than other mediums?

My thought is if you want to use the Atoma 400 for further use is to first try sandpaper mounted on a flat surface to tune your Pig Sticker. Maybe a good place to start would be about a 150 - 220 grit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I have a leather chisel roll filled with with Veritas chisels.