Thread: is this a decent buy for $100?

is this a decent buy for $100?

Walker Turner probably TA 1180B (best I can tell from serial #), 1 hp, looks like original motor.. I ran across this on fb marketplace.
    wt 1.jpgwt.jpgwt4.jpgwt2.jpg

Really depends on what you want to do to it. Lots of ways to recoup $100 back out of it, what are you thinking of doing?

thought of restoring and using it, but now im reading that parts are not available...maybe not a good idea, im just a sucker for old tools

I had a WT shaper that I planned to restore and I found a WT guy that had lots of info on parts, restorations, etc.--not sure if it was a full time business but he was very knowledgeable and helpful.
    I ended up selling the shaper so didn't end up using his services. I found him online and I will see if I can find contact info for you.

thanks John

I'm a sucker for old tools too. If it popped up in my neighborhood, I'd probably bring it home. Personally I'd convert it to a single use machine, like a dedicated rip saw with a feeder or something. Heck, for $100 you could use it a bench even.

Caution, this thought process will fill your shop quickly.

Be forewarned: Walker turners have bearings that were discontinued a long time ago. Finding them can be quite an ordeal, not to mention, about 50.00 per bearing.
    Where did I put those band aids?

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Wal...alNumbers.ashx

Built before 1950?
    How long has it been idle?

Does it run?

If nothing else it is cheaper then a factory made router table. The motor is worth it if it runs.
    Bill D.

Hi Ernie,
    I looked thru all my contacts and I couldn't find any references to the WT guy. I would try hooking up with the OWWM site and asking there--lots of helpful folks.

The issue with the shaper I had was the motor. It was the original reversing motor and needed a rebuild @ $600 at a good motor shop or a replacement motor from the WT guy @~~$350 IIRC.
    It may be reasonable to consider parting yours out if it isn't functional. The shaper I had was really well made and had tons of accessories but I didn't really need a shaper and the guy that bought
    had been looking for that model so it was a win-win for all. Good luck.

not sure...I abandoned the idea of getting the saw because the people wanted to meet me somewhere with the saw instead of me coming to where the saw was located. I can understand and wouldnt mind if it were a small item, but too much crap to deal with.

Ernie, smart move....

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    Be forewarned: Walker turners have bearings that were discontinued a long time ago. Finding them can be quite an ordeal, not to mention, about 50.00 per bearing.
    Not all the W/T machines used the differently sized bearings; the big difference that I know of was that they used bearings with fractional/ decimal bores instead of the more common metric bores. Must have made sense at the time..... There are several workarounds if the original bearing can't be found.
    The company referenced to for parts and info is Walker Turner Serviced Machinery LLC in Coventry , CT

I have and use a W/T 1182 tablesaw, a W/T S1140 shaper, a W/T 900 drill press and a W/T BN730 band saw. I'm second owner of all and I bought them from the estate of a friend who was almost fanatical about keeping his machines clean, adjusted and serviced. All excellent machines that I'll never part with.