Thread: Reconfiguring a 2-bag (dual) dust collector

Reconfiguring a 2-bag (dual) dust collector

Does anyone have experience in reconfiguring a 2-bag (dual) dust collector to do any or all of the following: 1) mount to the wall, 2) exhaust outside and 3) convert to 2-stage?

I would like to hear any pros/cons, do’s / do not’s, suggestions and links to purchases.
    Any pictures of the finished plans and/or configuration would be appreciated.

Most 2-baggers are 3HP , so I'm assuming that . Going to a 2-stage is wise , venting outside is good if the conditions are right . No gas appliances w/ make up air into the shop , don't care about AC and heat losses . All I would use is the blower on a shop built cyclone . You tube has many to look at , try Unemployed Redneck Hillbilly Creations . His is as good as anybody's . I'd ditch the bags either way- cannister filters or vent outside . Look at Grizzly if you are considering an impeller upgrade . Your motor shaft is most likely 7/8" , but of course check it . A Dust Deputy XL on a 3HP blower can be very serviceable when money is tight .

Doug,

I have a 3HP double bag unit from Powermatic - mid 90s era. I picked it up a while back from the local Craigslist for $250 and it had the cloth upper bags when it came to me. I ditched those and ordered the best 35 series canisters from Wynn Environmental that I could get to replace the bags - Merv 15 rated, if I remember correctly.

I exited the impeller with 6” S&D PVC and added a Super Dust Deputy XL Cyclone just upstream of the DC with a 55 gallon drum underneath. Then a 6” main trunk line from the SDD XL down the middle of the shop with a couple of different short arteries that branch to blast gates and flex hose down to the machines. It moves some air and is a huge upgrade from my modified “2 HP” harbor freight unit with Wynn 35 canister, trash can separator and 4” flex.

I would have loved to do what James suggested above by simply pulling the blower off the Powermatic unit and building my own cyclone with a Super Dust Deputy XL directly beneath the blower, purchasing a taller single filter from Wynn, and a collection barrel underneath but there was no good or convenient way for me to get the collection space I needed (min 55 gal) with my low ceiling height in my basement shop...I suppose I could have built a long and low rectangular waste enclosure from plywood and figured out how to seal it and get some type of removable liner in it, but I was already on a steep learning curve and time crunch to get the new system up and running. Bigger footprint, but it works very well.

My shop and DC setup isn’t glamorous, but I’ll try and snap a few photos of it and report back.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 03-07-2021 at 3:02 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Doug,

I have a 3HP double bag unit from Powermatic - mid 90s era. I picked it up a while back from the local Craigslist for $250 and it had the cloth upper bags when it came to me. I ditched those and ordered the best 35 series canisters from Wynn Environmental that I could get to replace the bags - Merv 15 rated, if I remember correctly.

I exited the impeller with 6” S&D PVC and added a Super Dust Deputy XL Cyclone just upstream of the DC with a 55 gallon drum underneath. Then a 6” main trunk line from the SDD XL down the middle of the shop with a couple of different short arteries that branch to blast gates and flex hose down to the machines. It moves some air and is a huge upgrade from my modified “2 HP” harbor freight unit with Wynn 35 canister, trash can separator and 4” flex.

I would have loved to do what James suggested above by simply pulling the blower off the Powermatic unit and building my own cyclone with a Super Dust Deputy XL directly beneath the blower, purchasing a taller single filter from Wynn, and a collection barrel underneath but there was no good or convenient way for me to get the collection space I needed (min 55 gal) with my low ceiling height in my basement shop...I suppose I could have built a long and low rectangular waste enclosure from plywood and figured out how to seal it and get some type of removable liner in it, but I was already on a steep learning curve and time crunch to get the new system up and running. Bigger footprint, but it works very well.

My shop and DC setup isn’t glamorous, but I’ll try and snap a few photos of it and report back.
    This is how I did my DC setup using the 3HP blower, steel SDD, 35-gallon plastic trash can, and a pair of Wynn filters. My basement ceiling height is very low. My compressor fits nicely below the filters. Later, I'll replace the SDD with the larger SDD XL and will use a 35-gallon plywood box because I won't have room for the trash can.

April Wilkerson has a video on adding a Thien baffle to the HF dust collector. Principle is the same now matter which brand. Visit Phil Thien's web site for a bunch more ideas.

Everyone,
    Thank you for the comments and ideas. Currently looking for a used 3-HP DC.

The 2 -bag DC's out there usually have a 3 HP motor . Most also will have "little brother" 2HP partner . Generally w/ the same impeller and the same blower housing . Worth a look as they are more commonly found .

Here's a photo. The motor is a little smaller than what you're talking about. The pipe shoots the dust into a trailer.
    I never used the bags.

IMG_1558.jpg