Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a cordless electric lawn mower?

Blog Entries

Anyone have a cordless electric lawn mower?

I plan on switching from my gas powered lawn mower to an electric one. I have a small yard so I don't think I'll have a problem with the battery going dead before I'm done. I see that EGO gets good reviews. Does anyone have an EGO or any other brand. What do you think of it. The EGO I'm looking at is $400.
    Thanks
    Dennis

Ego. 56 volt 21" cut
    Purchased Christmas 2017
    Yard is about 4500 sq.ft.
    Takes about forty minutes. Easily did it on one charge in 2018, 2019. In 2020 we could only get about 15 minutes, then 10. Called company. Emailed sales receipt to them, they sent a new Battery and charger via priority mail gratis.

Only 55 lbs. Compared to 80 for our 22" 5hp Craftsman. Easier to manipulate.
    Folds and then stores upright. Makes cleaning deck and sharpening blades easy. Smaller storage footprint
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 03-06-2021 at 8:37 AM. Reason: Auto correct correction added battery
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Son has Worx, also 56v. Will run on one battery but comes with and holds two to extend run time to about 45 minutes; not quite long enough. He bought a third battery to be able to extend to fifty-five minutes. If grass is long, he can get about 65 minutes by pulling one about 15 minutes in and start recharging that one.
    His yard is about 5000 sq.ft.
    Purchased 2016.
    He lost both keys needed to start it. Company sent two more free.
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 03-06-2021 at 8:39 AM. Reason: Added key info
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Hi Dennis,

I'm a Librarian with the Asheville Tool Library where we have five Ego mowers.
    The Egos are pretty good.
    We get a non-profit discount, and from
    a service perspective, when they start dying we have spare parts.

The blades are designed for efficiency, not for throwing wet, heavy grass in to a bag.
    They will bag a light cut of fairly dry grass.
    Consumer Reports says the most expensive Ego model is a good bagger.
    CR is probably worth reading for more information.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

I have a Kobalt from Lowes I got 2 years ago and really like it. It is the 80 volt self propelled. Wife loves it as there is no smell and is quite. she just had to get use to way the controls work.

I have an Ego self propelled mower that I got just for mowing my septic mound. You can't let get the grass get too long or the mower will bog down. The self propelled part sucks. It has a delay before it stops going forward. I don't know about battery life as it doesn't take long to mow a septic mound. The self propelled version has the big 7.5 AH battery.

I recall I paid $150 for my mower. We have a store locally that sells Home Depot returns. This unit appeared to have never been taken out of the box and was still new. The store had 50% off on mowers end of season.

I have the Ego non-self-propelled, and a 1/2-acre lot that I can mow in about 45 mins with it on a single battery.

It doesn't have quite the power of a gas mower, but then again, it's super lightweight, folds up, easy to push, quiet, no gas to deal with, no pull-starting, no spark plugs, air filters, or oil changes, etc, etc. So: while not perfect, the pros vs cons are strongly in favor of it, in my situation. I like it. I also have their snow blower and leaf blower, and am very happy with those, too.

Our son uses the EGO non-self-propelled to mow his yard. He especially likes that it is quiet, as his work schedule frequently means he only has 6:00 am Sunday morning for doing yard work and his neighbors aren't woken by his mower.

We have the Kobalt 80v but I heard they were phasing them out. Get the extended warranty and get another brand from them if it breaks. They did a very poor job of explaining the operation because people were fighting the gear drive when they wanted to back up. It’s designed to lock when you stop to prevent rolling backwards in case you might be on a hill. The simple fix is to release the auto drive 18 inches before you stop so it won’t lock. This is only necessary if you are planning on backing up.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 03-06-2021 at 1:46 PM.

I have the Ryobi 40 volt and several companion tools as well. It works very well. It's self propelled and I think a 20" cut. I mostly just use it for trimming and mowing the ditch. The battery is good for about 20 minutes but it has a place to keep a spare next to the one being used. I also have the string trimmer, chain saw and back pack blower. I have had one battery fail and Ryobi warrantied it without any hassle.

I have a Toro All-Wheel Drive mower. Effortlessly cuts and drives thru 6" grass. Until Ego or someone else makes an electric mower do that, I'm not budging
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My neighbor has a 1970's General Electric riding mower. Each blade on the deck has it's own motor and where the gas engine would be are car batteries. I don't know if they were too expensive or if the batteries didn't last but people never seemed to take to them. I find it kind of alarming that more than one person posted about someone having a battery failure with a cordless push mower. Makes me wonder how long the batteries will last. It'll get very expensive if you only get 4 or 5 seasons out of a battery before having to replace it.

I do have an corded push mower handed down to me by my father. Can't tell you the number of extension cords it's cut, lol. Enough so that I would like to get a cordless one for doing trim work around the house. My yard is more than an acre so it'll be awhile before a replacement for my riding mower will be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    My neighbor has a 1970's General Electric riding mower. Each blade on the deck has it's own motor and where the gas engine would be are car batteries. I don't know if they were too expensive or if the batteries didn't last but people never seemed to take to them. I find it kind of alarming that more than one person posted about someone having a battery failure with a cordless push mower. Makes me wonder how long the batteries will last. It'll get very expensive if you only get 4 or 5 seasons out of a battery before having to replace it.

I do have an corded push mower handed down to me by my father. Can't tell you the number of extension cords it's cut, lol. Enough so that I would like to get a cordless one for doing trim work around the house. My yard is more than an acre so it'll be awhile before a replacement for my riding mower will be sold.
    We've had a corded mower for 20+ years. The trick with them is to start at the outlet and work out. The big advantage over cordless is power; the corded mower can deal with pretty long grass, longer than I let it get because we mulch. Our neighbor has a cordless, I'm not sure of the brand. She has to be careful not to let her grass get too long or she has to borrow a gas powered mower. She also bags her clippings, I doubt a cordless mower would be happy mulching.

Hi Curt,

The Ego mowers do a good job of mulching and they cut tall grass, though
    you do have to go a bit slower than a corded electric or gas mower.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    We've had a corded mower for 20+ years. The trick with them is to start at the outlet and work out. The big advantage over cordless is power; the corded mower can deal with pretty long grass, longer than I let it get because we mulch. Our neighbor has a cordless, I'm not sure of the brand. She has to be careful not to let her grass get too long or she has to borrow a gas powered mower. She also bags her clippings, I doubt a cordless mower would be happy mulching.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I should have mentioned this in my first post, we do mulch with the ego. Mowing grass is my wife's quiet time for herself, so she mows a lot; it seldom gets too high. But if it rains a lot for consecutive days it does take some adjustments.
    It will take more than one mowing to get it back down. She doesn't mow more than a third of its height at one time, and not more than an inch or so regardless. She might overlap each pass by a half instead of an inch or two. In those cases it would take more than a single charge. She will do the back, than use the weeds whacker to do the trimming while the battery charges, then the front.

So, yes, it is not as powerful as a gas mower wrt mulching very tall grass, but that extra power would pretty much be wasted. Using Kev Williams's 6" grass as an example; she would never cut that to height in one pass regardless of how much power the mower had.