Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some things are not going metric

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I know that 25.4mm=1 inch (approximately).
    'approximately' ???

I guess it is 'approximate', since that's backwards ;-) The definition of an 'inch' is now precisely 25.4mm. We changed, they didn't. Although the difference is so tiny it's hardly measurable outside a laboratory.

Length is easy, it's the force and pressure stuff that drives me nuts. French engineer: 'it'll be fine, the force on it is only 5 Newtons'. Me: 'what's a Newton'? French engineer: 'It's 1/10th of a kilogram'.

Hmmm ... why 1/10th? Where does that come from? It's not ... It's 1/9.8 Kg ... the 9.8 being the acceleration of gravity in Meters/sec^2, vs 32.2 feet. So they've got a Newton for force, and a kilogram for mass. And we've got the pound for ... weight? ... umm, no ... well, yeah, it's the force applied by the acceleration of gravity acting on a mass of a ... 'slug'. Which is ??? 32.2 lbs? Or 1/32.2 lbs? Huh?

I submit this for a future society rebuilding after the apocalypse: Make your length standard based off the average acceleration of gravity*. That should make all this stuff the same, I think.

* Sure, it varies around the globe, but only physicists would need to worry about that. Any engineering of buildings and bridges should be close enough to ignore.

I submit this for a future society rebuilding after the apocalypse: Make your length standard based off the average acceleration of gravity*. That should make all this stuff the same, I think.
    OK I wrote it all down .....but I’m really bad about remembering to check my pockets before they go in the washer.
    New standards would mean the end of standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    New standards would mean the end of standards.
    Not if everybody agreed to use the New Standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    My only two issues with metric is first and largest I have no mental concept of the size of things when quoted in metric. I know that 25.4mm=1 inch (approximately). So I can convert and then I know what size it is. But when I hear 840mm, I have to convert it to understand. I do not want to use it enough so that I would understand. The other issue I have it is feels like the rest of the world really cares that the U. S. is not converted fully and probably never will be. It seems like they are determined to force our conversion sometimes. I don't like it when it seems somebody is trying to force their way of doing things on me.
    The inability to visualize metric units like we do "traditional" units is probably the largest impediment to U.S metric use. We can all look at a 2 X 4 or a 5/16" bolt and recognize it for what it is. And Newtons? Yeah, I'm lost there. Pressure units too. Some are fairly easy, a liter is a little over a quart, a meter is a little over a yard (39 inches), a kilometer is a little over a half mile (5/8 of a mile). Newtons and hectpascals? If there's a simple approximate conversion I don't know it.

It's a bit like what language we speak, read, and write. All languages work. The serve their purpose. But we want to use what we are most comfortable with (or the only one I know in my case). Metric works. So does feet, inches, pounds, etc.. Arguing one is better than the other is pointless. There are some advantages of the metric system but if it was truly better the conversion would happen. When two languages or two systems of measurement both work fine, which you use becomes a personal preference. The only real problem arises from multiple systems. That can cause mistakes, frustration, etc..

Blog Entries
    The metric system exists because there were something like forty different systems of measure at the time, in France. The same situation is not present here, thankfully, and the standard system is great in my opinion. I can visualize feet and inches. That said, nothing stops you from enjoying some 12.7mm collets and shanks if you want to be fully metric
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Jim, you're absolutely correct in that you have to use a system for some time to become familiar with it.

I'm 63 years old, so too young to have had any real education in the Imperial system as science was metric for me through high school and post secondary.

I design my own furniture, and use metric measurements because I find it easier to add millimeters than 64ths of an inch.

I find that in most aspects of my life I really don't use measurements, when I order luncheon meat at the deli, I let them know how many grams I want ( normally 300) however if you put 250 or 350 grams in my hand I wouldn't be able to tell you that they're 250 or 350 grams. I think a lot of our experiences in life are like that.

Obviously at work or in the shop or garage I use measurements, and have measuring tools in both systems as I own British and German motorcycles. The British bikes are the most fun, 3 different thread and fastener systems on the same machine.......LOL

In Canada we're stuck with the plywood/softwood lumber system in Imperial units as well.

In response to your not wanting someone to tell you which system to use, well they already did, and you're using it without having chosen it yourself. That's what happens in most of our lives...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    'approximately' ???

I guess it is 'approximate', since that's backwards ;-) The definition of an 'inch' is now precisely 25.4mm. We changed, they didn't. Although the difference is so tiny it's hardly measurable outside a laboratory.

Length is easy, it's the force and pressure stuff that drives me nuts. French engineer: 'it'll be fine, the force on it is only 5 Newtons'. Me: 'what's a Newton'? French engineer: 'It's 1/10th of a kilogram'.

Hmmm ... why 1/10th? Where does that come from? It's not ... It's 1/9.8 Kg ... the 9.8 being the acceleration of gravity in Meters/sec^2, vs 32.2 feet. So they've got a Newton for force, and a kilogram for mass. And we've got the pound for ... weight? ... umm, no ... well, yeah, it's the force applied by the acceleration of gravity acting on a mass of a ... 'slug'. Which is ??? 32.2 lbs? Or 1/32.2 lbs? Huh?

* Sure, it varies around the globe, but only physicists would need to worry about that. Any engineering of buildings and bridges should be close enough to ignore.
    Ah yes, the slug.

In Canada I find it funny when people state their weight in Kilograms, when of course that's their mass, as you said we need to multiply by the acceleration due to gravity to obtain Newtons.....Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    The inability to visualize metric units like we do "traditional" units is probably the largest impediment to U.S metric use. We can all look at a 2 X 4 or a 5/16" bolt and recognize it for what it is. And Newtons? Yeah, I'm lost there. Pressure units too. Some are fairly easy, a liter is a little over a quart, a meter is a little over a yard (39 inches), a kilometer is a little over a half mile (5/8 of a mile). Newtons and hectpascals? If there's a simple approximate conversion I don't know it.
    Hi Curt, the issue is not to convert, no need to.

I have to admit that when driving in the US I put my GPS in Imperial units so that I have a display that matches the road signs (all my modern vehicles are metric). That way I don't have to remember that 50 MPH = 80 KPH, no conversion, I just use the display in Imperial units.

The easiest is temperatures, at 0C you have ice, at +30C it's hot outside, at -30C it's cold..........Beautifully symmetrical ...................Regards, Rod.