Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some things are not going metric

Some things are not going metric

Router collets, table saw and shaper arbors, pipe sizes, ceiling tiles. Of course it is possible to specify them in metric units or in both but router bits specified as 127 mm shank might not sell well. Not sure what's happening with ceiling tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    router bits specified as 127 mm shank might not sell well.
    Yea, not sure I've ever seen a 5" shank router bit.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Metric router collets are indeed available, albeit are not easy to come by, especially in North America. 20mm and 30mm saw arbors and 30mm shaper spindles are not uncommon globally, but certainly not the norm for North American designed equipment. (many track saws have 20mm arbors...) In the end, it doesn't really matter, honestly. I design in metric and cut with tooling that's otherwise. We buy what's available or required for what we have and some of that has to do with backward compatibility.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Router collets, table saw and shaper arbors, pipe sizes, ceiling tiles. Of course it is possible to specify them in metric units or in both but router bits specified as 127 mm shank might not sell well. Not sure what's happening with ceiling tiles.
    I guess it depends on your vantage point. If you turn the table around, our fellow woodworkers who live in countries that use metric units may find it strange to specify a spindle with a diameter of 31.75mm or a piece of lumber that measures 50,8mm by 101.6mm. How about going to the gas station and filling their 22,73 liter tank for the lawn mower?

At the end of the day, regardless of the units you use, your kitchen table apron will be the right length, provided you measured carefully and processed it with due care. And a 30mm bore shaper cutter will fit perfectly on a 30mm spindle, but less so on any other size, regardless of units.

8 mm router bits/collets are not uncommon for dovetail jigs.

AFAIK: The worldwide standard for socket drive square shanks are 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". Above that I do not know. No need to make a different size since they are sold for only one thing and no other system is needed.
    Light bulbs have always been metric. In the Americas it is E26. for Edison base 26 mm.
    What I think is funny is I see metric ball bearing(pretty much all ball bearings are metric since WW1). I see them labeleed i nEnglish unit sfor some reason. As in 1.259843 in" instead of 32 mm.
    Bill D

Tire rim sizes are in inches, though the tire diameter may be metric, as well as the width.

Believe it or not, I found a metric crescent wrench at a garage sale. I paid big bucks for it, but they are so rare to find these days.
    Regards,

Tom

In metric countries router shank will be 12 mm (and it not frequent to find 12.7mm). Most of my router bits are 8 mm shank, some 6 mm.

I also have 1"/2, 1"/4 and 1"/8 bits I purchased virtually all in the US as it is less and less frequent to find locally stuff in imperial units.

When we talk in different unit systems it is not a mere conversion from one unit to other but it will imply in a change in the round figures used in the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Believe it or not, I found a metric crescent wrench at a garage sale. I paid big bucks for it, but they are so rare to find these days.
    My hammers are only metric tools I have.

My adjustable is in cubits - - one-of-a-kind rare. For sale if the offer is right..?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I have a couple that are metric on one side and sae on the other

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    In metric countries router shank will be 12 mm (and it not frequent to find 12.7mm). Most of my router bits are 8 mm shank, some 6 mm.

I also have 1"/2, 1"/4 and 1"/8 bits I purchased virtually all in the US as it is less and less frequent to find locally stuff in imperial units.

When we talk in different unit systems it is not a mere conversion from one unit to other but it will imply in a change in the round figures used in the practice.
    I assume router manufacturers make collets in those common sizes? The only metric collet for Porter Cable that I've seen is 8 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I assume router manufacturers make collets in those common sizes? The only metric collet for Porter Cable that I've seen is 8 mm.
    They do, Curt.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have a couple that are metric on one side and sae on the other

Hopefully they're a left and right pair. Otherwise, you can only tighten SAE and loosen Metric with one. Or vice versa.

We are pretty much stuck in the U. S. with using both systems of measurement. Cars are in metric and unlikely to ever go back to fractional inches. Lumber is sold in feet and inches but most plywood is really metric in thickness. We need metric and SAE wrenches and socket sets. Track saws started in Europe and most have 20mm arbors. Dominos are all in metric. Scale on the tool, size of the cutters, size of the loose tenons etc.. Plumbing materials are also sold in inches. Some things might gradually change but also may not. Ceiling tiles are 2x2 or 2x4 feet. Standard kitchen counter height is 36 inches, 18 inches up to the upper cabinet. Base 24 wide, upper 12 wide.

My only two issues with metric is first and largest I have no mental concept of the size of things when quoted in metric. I know that 25.4mm=1 inch (approximately). So I can convert and then I know what size it is. But when I hear 840mm, I have to convert it to understand. I do not want to use it enough so that I would understand. The other issue I have it is feels like the rest of the world really cares that the U. S. is not converted fully and probably never will be. It seems like they are determined to force our conversion sometimes. I don't like it when it seems somebody is trying to force their way of doing things on me.