For our kitchen.

Target EM8000CV over Waterlox

Top is white oak; base walnut

8.jpg

-
    10.jpg11.jpg
    12.jpg13.jpg
    16.jpg
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-05-2021 at 12:25 PM.

Beautiful finish, Prashun.
    Tell me about the walls in the first picture. When we were remodeling our kitchen, we would write notes to each other on the unfinished walls. When the kitchen and walls were finished, my wife painted "I must always remember to write on walls" over the pass-thru to the back yard to remind us of the good times.
    Ron

Write on Walls.jpg

Our basement has chalkboard paint on some walls. The kids - despite being teenagers - never grow too old to write 'butt' on the wall.

Beautiful table Prashun!
    A wannabe woodworker!

Beautiful work and beautiful finish, Prashun. Why Waterlox first? Any concerns about adhesion? Are those cleats underneath affixed such that the field can expand/contract? And, lastly, what are those two little Z shaped things in the top?

Lovely in all ways.

John

Those are little inlays I put in to fix a knot. Mixed reviews on that...

For the base attachment, I recessed 3/8" blocks into the top. The blocks have countersunk domino slots. I screwed these to the tops of the arms and then will screw them into the bottom of the top through the 'wings' of the block. This should allow about 3/4" movement either way.

The bolt holes in the steel extension arms are 1/2" diameter. All 4 bolts are 3/8", so there should be enough play.

Spraying oak directly with the Target wasn't dark enough. I did the same thing on my Walnut island. I actually had a tough time finishing this. I grain filled with Aquacoat, then Waterloxed, and then figured shoot a seal coat of shellac before the CV. I didn't let the shellac dry enough though, and while the 1st coat of CV went on fine, the SECOND coat bubbled and wouldn't adhere. I cleaned it all off, lightly sanded, put another coat of waterlox on (very thin, wiping it all off - just for color), let dry for only 4 hours, and sprayed the CV. This time no problem. I recall Target's previous coatings had reported issues over shellac. I am sure it was just my technique, but I don't see a point any more. I like the look of the Waterlox and have never had issues provided the coat is think enough.

7.jpg18.jpg19.jpg

Beautiful prashun

I really, really like that table...execution, material choices, design, everything! Those little inlays are kewel..and will certainly be a conversation piece, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That table is beautiful! Congrats.

Lovely table to eat at, gorgeous to look at between meals. Fine quality Prashun!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Beautiful Table and Great Craftsmanship... Well Done.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Looks great Prashun. Are the pedestals laminated or did you mill some 12/4 stock? Great idea on the mounting cleats. Your finish turned out nice. I really like the figure in the walnut and sheen.

Thanks.

The legs are 12/4. However, the grain match on one side wasn't so nice, so I laminated 1/8" onto the two faces of one side. I'm into these 1/8" chamfers and rounding over one of the corners. The seam is fairly hidden. All that care taken, and I didn't plane away the knife mark for the stretcher dado...

I can't really take credit for the overall design. I started with a trestle table made by Brian Holcombe, borrowed heavily from an FWW article, and got the idea for the slide out leaves from some Woodsmith plans.

21.jpg
    20.jpg
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-06-2021 at 9:40 AM.

I don't understand the extension leaves. It seems that they are supported by the steel u-channels. And it seems that the u-channels are bolted to the table proper and to the leaves. So it takes a wrench to install or remove the leaves? And the u-channels must be unbolted and removed if the leaves are stored away?

The u channels slide into the arms and are completely concealed when the leaves are out. Yes, the bolts go in by hand and yes it’s a 5 minute process. But it is a low tech solution for something that will be used about twice a year. My old table had a conventional mechanism and I never found it all that convenient anyway. In fact I always had to use my wife to pull the other side out with me. This is a one person operation. Today I swapped out the hex bolts with cap screws which can be tightened easily by hand. All the holes are oversized so positioning is easy.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-06-2021 at 2:18 PM.