Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear brakes on truck

Rear brakes on truck

Had corrosion and dragging brakes so I took it to a well known mechanic. Getting some squeaking back there after the total rebuild. They texted me to see if everything was ok and I told them I might have to bring it back. I asked if they used anti-squeal and they said no. I don’t get it because most brakes will squeal without it. Anyone have a brake job where it got left out and no squeaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Had corrosion and dragging brakes so I took it to a well known mechanic. Getting some squeaking back there after the total rebuild. They texted me to see if everything was ok and I told them I might have to bring it back. I asked if the used anti-squeal and they said no. I don’t get it because most brakes will squeal without it. Anyone have a brake job where it got left out and no squeaking?
    I almost always do the brake work myself. I have never used anything called anti-squeal on truck or other vehicle brakes, drum or disk., front or rear. I've never had brakes squeal.

I feel left out. What kind of brakes squeal?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I almost always do the brake work myself. I have never used anything called anti-squeal on truck or other vehicle brakes, drum or disk., front or rear. I've never had brakes squeal.

I feel left out. What kind of brakes squeal?
    it is a stock truck that hauls pigs
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-04-2021 at 9:53 PM. Reason: fixed end quote tag

Is used on both front and rear brakes at least on the elderly cars I drive. Maybe Permatex Orange was the last good quality one and purple before that but think orange is easier on rubber stuff where pins slide.

I had the problem on many cars when I forgot to use it. I spray it on the back of the pads and wait till very tacky. Maybe not turning the rotors has caused it. I have put high mileage on 3 BMW’s and always put on new discs on the 2nd or 3rd set of replacement pads with the red can of ant-squeal. Have heard many cars on the road squeaking. The squeal indicator on cars without the electronic pad thickness monitor has a much harsher squeal and on every brake application. A light squeal can’t be heard after a certain age or with damaged hearing from working on or being around certain types of machinery for 40 hours every week.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 03-04-2021 at 6:41 PM.

I think anti squeal is only for disk brakes. I have seen drums with a coil spring looped around the outer diameter. Modern vehicles do not have much extra space for such a thing and you do not want to coat the drum with rubber as it will cause overheating.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-04-2021 at 10:25 PM.

My truck has disc on the rear even though it’s a 2003. It looks similar to drum on the outside because of the parking brake drums.

Now that we know it has rear disks, yes they should have put anti squeal on the pad backs before installation. I do not understand why that is not factory applied on replacement pads. Did the pins or slideways get cleaned and greased?
    Bil lD

Everything back there to do with brakes was replaced except parking brake. Some pads come with a composite thin slab on the back for anti squeal but I had to coat those also.

I'm missing something, both the pad surface and rotor are wear surfaces, the pad at least losing several mm of thickness over a few 10,000's of miles. Does the spray soak through them? How does it affect braking performance? If it's some kind of lubricant that would seem to be a Bad Thing for braking.

I've bought pads in the past that were suppose to be anti-squeal, and some that were supposed to not make as much dust. Can't say that I've noticed much difference. I did buy some "high performance" pads for a former BMW one time. I think they were more fade resistant, but they only lasted about 15k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I'm missing something, both the pad surface and rotor are wear surfaces, the pad at least losing several mm of thickness over a few 10,000's of miles. Does the spray soak through them? How does it affect braking performance? If it's some kind of lubricant that would seem to be a Bad Thing for braking.

I've bought pads in the past that were suppose to be anti-squeal, and some that were supposed to not make as much dust. Can't say that I've noticed much difference. I did buy some "high performance" pads for a former BMW one time. I think they were more fade resistant, but they only lasted about 15k miles.
    The anti-squeal goes on the rear of the backing plate, between the caliper and the rear of the pad, the non-wear part. It prevents the metal on metal from squeaking.

It pays to use good grease to lubricate the caliper pins and the grooves in the calipers the pads set into. I bought a pint of stabila synthetic grease years ago for brakes and it makes a huge difference in brake performance. Anti squeel goop helps also.
    I had a heck of a time stopping the chatter on the buick lesabre when I first bought it. High quality pads and rotors with anti squeel finally got rid of the noise. GM pads and rotors were junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Trebuna View Post
    The anti-squeal goes on the rear of the backing plate, between the caliper and the rear of the pad, the non-wear part. It prevents the metal on metal from squeaking.
    Aha! Knew something was off in my thinking. That wasn't a place I would have expected squeal to come from. I usually hear it when we get to the metal-on-metal part of the brake pad life.

The squeaking that is unrelated to worn brakes is caused by a high frequency oscillation when the brakes are just barely to low application. All pads fit in loosely for reasons that I don’t know.

Blog Entries
    I take my truck to the dealer and always I am satisfied. They know the idiosyncrasies of the vehicle.