Thread: Flare-ups from Honeycomb seams

Flare-ups from Honeycomb seams

I am new to lasering, still shopping for a large format laser. Those of you experienced in wood cutting with larger laser tables..... how big of an issue is the flare-ups between honeycomb seams? We are not sure if we should be ordering a custom single 10' honeycomb piece or if there are some work-arounds patchworking the smaller pieces, removing half of the frame? And maybe the flare-ups aren't that bad anyway? We'll probably have to do some sanding anyways...right? Thanks! -Nellie

Flare ups haven't been a problem for me. I do wash my honeycomb table every now and then.Take it out spray it down with Purple clean and hose it off.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The flareups are caused by the residue left behind from whatever you've been cutting...

What works for me to clean the table is a propane torch with wide-flare tip. Just turn on blower and go. Takes about 20 minutes to burn the guck off the main working area of my 1300x900 table
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Low-tack transfer tape on the bottom side: the flare-ups don't go through it, or if they do, not strong enough to mark the wood.

That said, it's not nearly the problem with wood that it is with acrylic, since it will usually get sanded/finished anyway.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

You can buy acrylic grids.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7