Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contact Cement Failures. HELP!!!

+1 on the pressure. In junior high school shop class, a block of wood and a hammer was used instead of a J-roller. Made me think the contact meant contact with a hammer and wood block! But really it is just a way to make full contact between both surfaces that you won't get just by placing the laminate on the wood.

That stuff is a permanent bond. Properly bonded surfaces can only be released by spraying acetone in a toe hold and working it apart. Swearing, screaming and whining is warranted. I have worked with way too much laminate. So the cooler the surfaces the longer to open time. No glue should release when pressing firmly with your finger. Not tacky. Some laminates also soak the glue so I would often apply a second coat to that a well as the sub-strait.

Best of luck.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

operator error. Once done it stays, have done the time to prove that. If stuff need to be changed later years just put it on its side, open an edge with a chisel and use Lac reducer in a squirt bottle. It will pool in what is pulled away from the substrate and do work to your advantage and keep loosening. Simple. Worked lots of it and 40 years later its same as it was when made. Last fav brand was Nevamar, model of it I used the most was bullet proof. Sure there are tons of choices now.

This thread has inspired me to look up new views on contact cement. Don’t see as much about failures as I used to. The on the phone reps
    used to say that it “would last 5 to 10 years”. Maybe it’s better now than it was then. One company I worked for would
    only use plastic resin glue for laminates. Many times I’ve seen contact cement fail before it left the shop. That never brought any re-evaluating of its merit ,only a some cussing and more contact cement.

HI Mel

dont want to disagree with you considering your history but if so then you had some morons working there Im sitting at 35 years at the moment. Failures in contact are more associated with veneer applications.

The best shops in Toronto did put it on in a press with different wood glues, if they did banks and stuff the laminate was worn out from customer friction before it ever failed. Ill email the top glue pro I know, about your 5 -10 year thing, Ive proven him wrong 3 times his high number. There were good sales guys in the past with real knowledge, I go for Techs for questions. Sales guys now many with nice hair and shirt but not the same back ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Stump View Post
    ... Properly bonded surfaces can only be released by spraying acetone in a toe hold and working it apart. ...
    I have taken laminate off of counter-tops in 2 or 3 houses using a heat gun. Probably not any faster than acetone, but it smells better.

Warren, thanks. Yes ,some of the stuff will last a long time. And I’ve seen good laminate guys find non sticking places in their own work
    before It left the shop. And when sales guys are pushing the THICK plastic tops, “solid surface” stuff, THEY will say the contact stuff is
    inferior and falls apart! Even though ,back at the shop , guys are filling laminate orders they sold ! There are customers who prefer
    laminate but won’t buy it because “it falls apart”. Years ago shops were selling inlaid laminate and it was tedious work. CNC could bring
    that back, and plastic resin glue would make it permanent. “Permanent? We can’t make no money like that!!”

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Stump View Post
    That stuff is a permanent bond. Properly bonded surfaces can only be released by spraying acetone in a toe hold and working it apart. Swearing, screaming and whining is warranted. I have worked with way too much laminate. So the cooler the surfaces the longer to open time. No glue should release when pressing firmly with your finger. Not tacky. Some laminates also soak the glue so I would often apply a second coat to that a well as the sub-strait.

Best of luck.
    Try putting a black laminate table under a big south facing window in the summer time. Then test it for bond. Contact cement can also be removed with a heat gun, or that window situation.

if you want to read the pros, not sure this will open.

file:///C:/Users/Warren/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.Outlook/JA6CSQI9/Contact%20Adhesives.pdf

There is always change that can you have is old, I always try to buy from place that sells lot of it. You know like HD or Lowes, I purchase from Ace before but it was old would not stick

done commercial stuff past where i know an edge would get heavy wear daily so used contact up to close and last few inches or so white glue and clamped.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    done commercial stuff past where i know an edge would get heavy wear daily so used contact up to close and last few inches or so white glue and clamped.
    Agree! If the edges are good ...the middle ain’t goin’ anywhere. It’s kinda’ like the way sheets are held on a bed ....except without the
    contact cement !!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I did a few guard stations for a Federal Prison back in the day. First 2" had to be glued with PVA glue, the rest was okay with contact cement. I've been cut breaking up some scrap laminate, no need to explain that requirement to me!

I wasnt I figured there are a few other people here

Mel rings a bell on bed sheets. I have five layers and almost want to sow them or button them in place. Once told im a travelling Willbury. Seinfeld had a line on one you tube about "ever look at your bed sheets in the morning, nothing restful about that" whatever words he used.