Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Contact Cement Failures. HELP!!!

Done a few thousand feet myself, and my thoughts are that you put it on before the solvents were evaporated. Like Warren, I made some mistakes along the way and that was one. I now use a spray setup and will never roll again!

no I didnt make mistakes I learned from old guys who learned from old guys they already knew it before they taught me.

Ive never rolled it sprayed from day one and the brand I posted. Modified primer gun to pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Try putting a black laminate table under a big south facing window in the summer time. Then test it for bond. Contact cement can also be removed with a heat gun, or that window situation.
    I should have said...."can be released with acetone". There are always different ways to do things and I am certainly no laminate expert. I actually hated having to work with laminates. Many years ago I bought a new contact cement product. It was pink. A very sweet 85 year old commissioned me for a small kitchen job and picked a really expensive white slate Formica. After a few days the curved edging came off. Repaired on site. Then the horizontal parts started popping off. Repaired on site. This continued for awhile. It was very bad. I still have nightmares of her calling on the phone.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

never had it fail ever and I did lots. Helmitin brand, pink or natural always sprayed. The worst is over spray still on some machines that were within my firing range. I make a mess at times when I work but the work comes first.

Gordon I get what you are saying often I breeze in type fast then there is a wrong word. I said the pro stuff up above and meant some pro stuff. I go back to edit after and half the time this site wil not let me edit and cant even see my post, now i went back in to respond to what you said here and its works as it should. ??

The old guy I knew best had a grade three education and taught himself to read with newspapers on store windows. All was bombed and the war ended school for him. He could not even speak english when he worked for one of the largest companies in toronto but learned fast. The lawyers, brought him all the contracts to review and he said he changed words and made it so it was best for the company so they would not get stuck. That made me realize just how the wrong word changes the whole thing. He had no education but he understood. His answers at items were different but he saw the bottom line.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-05-2021 at 10:53 AM.