I recently posted looking for some O1 steel chisels. I found a set made by Andrew Kimmons at Kimmons Hand Tools. They arrived today and they are wonderful. I want to first say buy from him with confidence. I love these and the handles are perfect- long enough for paring, yet fat enough for striking.

My post, however, is in defense of the O1 steel. It got a bad rap due to it “needing more frequent sharpening.” I, myself, many years ago, went with the A2 Lie-Nielsen chisels because I didn’t want to spend a lot of time sharpening. Now that I am older, wiser, and more experienced, give me O1 chisels any day. The steel takes a sharper edge than A2 or PMV11. It literally gets sharper. It is to me very noticeable, but I do a lot of paring, so maybe I am sensitive to minute differences. It does NOT require constant sharpening- just a few more touch-ups here or there. Also, it is easier to sharpen. That is a big plus to me. I love sharpening things, but I also prefer to get back to work. I keep a fine stone on my bench when working to quickly swipe a chisel over. I would rather have easier to sharpen and takes a better edge over harder to sharpen but have to sharpen less frequently.

To be fair, A2 isn’t much more difficult to sharpen. PMV11 I literally groan when I have to sharpen. O1, however, is quick and takes a fine edge.

BD44548E-4DDD-4E30-8820-89853D587C9A.jpg