Thread: Turbo tax

Turbo tax

Downloads from financial companies is either not working or has wrong numbers in several cases. Can’t upload it from a saved form either and get all the numbers. Lots of work. Might pay someone next year. This was not worth the money. Still have state to do.

Getting a tax person to hand all my stuff to is one of the best things I’ve done in a long time. Got a much bigger return too, which more than offsets the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Downloads from financial companies is either not working or has wrong numbers in several cases. Can’t upload it from a saved form either and get all the numbers. Lots of work. Might pay someone next year. This was not worth the money. Still have state to do.
    I like to enter all of those into TurboTax by hand. It forces me to keep track of what’s been going on, tax wise, at least once a year. I don’t trust the automation of that, there are often odd situations.

The button to click for manual entry is too far down the page where they have two choices to decide on. By the time I read all that and selected one I scrolled down looking for the continue button and failed to notice the manual button was down there.

Have used TurboTax for years.... never had a problem with them downloading info from Fidelity, Southern Farm Bureau, retirement pension sites, etc...
    Have always verified what they downloaded and it was accurate....
    I use the Premier version due to having rentals...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Have used TurboTax for years.... never had a problem with them downloading info from Fidelity, Southern Farm Bureau, retirement pension sites, etc...
    Have always verified what they downloaded and it was accurate....
    I use the Premier version due to having rentals...
    I’ve run into situations where TurboTax (I use Home and Business) spews chunks if you let it just take the prefab data. Stuff like no recorded basis, weird company mergers and stock swaps, foreign tax considerations. But it handles depreciation and carryovers really well, so I stick with it. It’s still IMO the best around. It saves me at least a thousand bucks a year over having somebody else do it, money I can spend on wood.