Thread: Plywood or solid

Plywood or solid

This is a partial wall from a RV. It's MDF covered in plastic. I've been commissioned to make a new one.
    20210303_114224.jpg

It's about 4.5 feet tall and 2.5 feet wide (at the widest point). 0.5 inch thick.

Question: glue up using solid red oak, or edge banded RO plywood?

I vote ply because I have it on hand.

Would wood might be cheaper.

(Which I never imagined would be true.)

I think plywood would be easier to do, plus more stable from warping.

Plywood, An rv will change elevations and moisture levels often if its used. I figure it will be finished but ply will be more stable

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Plywood, An rv will change elevations and moisture levels often if its used. I figure it will be finished but ply will be more stable
    That's what my gut says too. I've never edge banded anything before. Is it difficult?

Plywood because of the environmental stresses that come with RVs that have greater temperature and moisture swings that in most homes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I solid edge band with 1/4" to 3/4" solid wood a lot.

You can also buy edge band tape that you can just iron on, heat activates the glue.

If I'm adding a 1/4" edge band to 1/2" ply, I will cut strips 1/4" x 5/8".The faces on the 1/4" opposing sides will be planed. Make sure you've got a good clean cut on the ply. Spread glue on the strip as well as the plywood edge and clamp the edge on. You can use small brads to help align the strip and help it clamp. When the glue is dry, I usually use a flush trim router bit to remove the excess of the strip and sand to finish.

Lots of YouTube videos with different methods.

Plywood (as thin as practical for the application!!) Weight matters in an RV.
    Edge banding ply is one of the easier woodworking things to be tackled in the shop. It can be as simple as iron-on veneer or thin hardwood to cover the exposed edges.

Agreed...have no fear of edge banding. I've used the iron on stuff and it works great. Apply it a bit wide and then trim both sides with a razor (or flush trim router)

Thanks everyone. Plywood it is.

My only complaint with edge banding is that it is thing and does not take abuse as well as wood. That said, difficult to beat the plywood if it is good quality plywood!