Thread: Need a replacement handle for an old jointer

Need a replacement handle for an old jointer

Hello, fellow Creekers. I need to replace the outfeed locking handle on an old 12 inch SCMI F3A jointer. The teeth inside the handle cap are stripped. Luckily the mating teeth on the locking shaft look good. The handle is metal and about 5 inches long. The shaft it goes onto is just over 7/8 in diameter, or around 23mm. The teeth are about 3/8 inches long, and then there's another 3/8 of smooth shaft before it goes into the jointer. I'm not hung up on a specific handle form - a lever or big knob would be fine. Any recommendations on where I can go to get something to replace it? Ordering replacement parts form SCMI seems nearly impossible. Thanks, Pete

IMG_7910.jpgIMG_7911.jpgIMG_7912.jpgIMG_7913.jpgIMG_7914.jpgIMG_7915.jpg

I hate those those things . In an employment I replaced one with with a nut and a wrench chained to machine .Everybody much preferred it.

Lock Handle [1347759] for Delta Power Tools | eReplacement Parts

May be close. That is mine off my 12" DJ30 Delta. Its a Invitca clone. Ill try and measure my handle tonight.

The part is sold with the bolt etc. They are commonly called quill lock handles.

Figure out the thread you need and bolt length and that will help your search.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 03-03-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Kipp lever. McMaster Carr has these in metric. Also Kipp usa

I just saw some metric ones on the Felder website too.

2nd on Kipp.

They have metric too.

Thanks all, I think you solved it for me. Mike, the link you sent looks very similar to what I have. My bolt is about 13cm or 9/16 in diameter. Is that close to yours? Pete

Pete , be careful. SCMI will have metric size and metric pitch threading. The Delta will not. Even if the diameter is compatible , the threads won’t be.

Delta sold re-badged SCM and Invicta machines for some time so there's metric overlap there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Costa View Post
    Thanks all, I think you solved it for me. Mike, the link you sent looks very similar to what I have. My bolt is about 13cm or 9/16 in diameter. Is that close to yours? Pete
    meant to say 13mm. that would have been a really big jointer.

M12 X 1.75 is a common Kipp handle size on Euro machines.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/machine-han...read-size~m12/