Thread: We (I) should pay more attention to the Woodworking Projects

Blog Entries

We (I) should pay more attention to the Woodworking Projects

I was perusing the woodworking projects and realized I should do that more often. There are some talented folks here and I kind of feel guilty that I haven’t paid enough attention to their work. It is also a great place to get ideas from the work of others. Not plagiarize, but rather just be inspired.

I agree Malcolm. There are a lot of talented folks here and I always enjoy seeing what those with more talent than I can create.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Not plagiarize, but rather just be inspired.
    Talent borrows, Genius steals.

Nothing wrong with plagiarizing, borrowing or stealing, Especially at first, we all probably did. Then it starts to all make sense and then we modify and create. Kind of like asking for a recipe, first time follow exactly, and then modify to suit your tastes and whims.

BTW, who has the patent on the wheel?

Copying others work is a compliment in my eyes. Not just on the work they did but also on what they decided to make, even if it's not a direct copy but a basis for what you want. It's also a great way to see how others figured out a problem in a different way than you would have. Plus you get to ask questions, vs just look at the pictures.

Yes, it's one of my favorite parts of the forum and one that I try hard in my "moderator hat" to keep focused on finished work and true-build threads. There's totally amazing and inspiring work there!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Copying others work is a compliment in my eyes. Not just on the work they did but also on what they decided to make, even if it's not a direct copy but a basis for what you want. It's also a great way to see how others figured out a problem in a different way than you would have. Plus you get to ask questions, vs just look at the pictures.

What's that old saying " Imitation is the highest form of flattery." Love that forum for admiration of others skills and inspiration. There truly are some talented and creative folks here.

It’s usually my first stop on the forum. It is, after all, the result of all the other discussions. I try to view and comment on as many as I can. There is some great talent here and every project IMHO is worth a look no matter where they are on their woodworking level.