View Poll Results: Do you twist your wires before using a wire nut?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 75.00%
  • No

12 25.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twist wires before using a wire nut?

Blog Entries
    There should be a third answer, It depends.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I always twist wires before wirenut. Was taught that way and no reason not to. There is more reasons against not twisting. Wire expands and contracts with heat. they can work lose of a wirenut if not properly secured. Why take a chance.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I always make a pretty twist counter-clockwise. I have a pair of needle nose pliers that don't open without help. They are "clamped" onto the wires, and the ends are twisted together, then the ends clipped. That leaves the wire nut to mostly just protect the twisted wires from touching anything else.

Soldering is not recommended.
    Aren't wire nuts made with right hand threads? Won't twisting the wires counterclockwise then twisting the wire nut on clockwise untwist the wires? What am I (or everyone else) missing? Oh and how do millennials with digital smart watches know which way to twist?

I'll twist the wires clockwise if I have the grave misfortune of having to use wire nuts. Wago or Polaris connectors otherwise.

Blog Entries
    Wire expands and contracts with heat.
    This is also the reason given to me for not soldering junctions in crimp or twist connectors. The thermal changes can cause a solder joint to go 'cold,' causing more resistance in the joint. Eventually more heat could lead to junction failure. This isn't as critical in low voltage, low amperage circuits.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Need a choice of "DEPENDS"... sometimes yes, sometimes no...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Need a choice of "DEPENDS"... sometimes yes, sometimes no...
    A really good set of linesman pliers like the Knipex 0912240 https://www.amazon.com/09-12-240-9-5...s%2C193&sr=8-2 will make you want to twist wires all day long. I think sometimes people don’t want to do it because they’re using marginal equipment.

I do a very careful and tight twist to get a great mechanical connection, snip the end clean and then screw on the wire nuts. If I'm feeling really anal, I'll tape them, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I do a very careful and tight twist to get a great mechanical connection, snip the end clean and then screw on the wire nuts. If I'm feeling really anal, I'll tape them, too.
    Counterclockwise?

I twist the wires before using a wire nut.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have moved to Wagos for almost all 14# and 12# connections, solid and stranded.

Julie, Frank Pratt, what are your thoughts on Wagos?
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    A really good set of linesman pliers like the Knipex 0912240 https://www.amazon.com/09-12-240-9-5...s%2C193&sr=8-2 will make you want to twist wires all day long. I think sometimes people don’t want to do it because they’re using marginal equipment.
    Ain't that the truth. Some other good brands are Ideal, Klein and Channellock. I don't like using brand new linesman pliers because the jaws are too grippy & scrape up the wires. After a bit of wear they get real nice; just enough grip, yet smooth enough to allow the wire to slide as you twist. They last a long time like that, until you use them for a hammer the wrong way or cut a live cable

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    I have moved to Wagos for almost all 14# and 12# connections, solid and stranded.

I haven't used thousands of them yet, but I like them. I didn't want to because of the reputation of the back stab receptacles. But after lots of research & no failures with them personally, I'm a fan. Especially the lever lock type that can easily be removed. They're lots more money though.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    A good splice is one that creates the most surface contact between conductors, with that contact being secure, in that the incidence of it failing over time is minimal.

Press fittings, those that have a thin blade ready to capture and hold the wire, have a very small surface contact between the conductors. The conductors being the wire and the capture blade.

I have made splices on loads as large as 2000 amps. These are all 3 phase, 480 volts. In every case the focus has always been on maximizing the surface contact between the conductors and making sure the connection is very tight. Loose connections always fail, eventually.

That knowledge trickles down to every splice we make. I can't remember how many times I personally have seen or how many times I have heard guys on the jobs tell the stories about bad splices but the lessons learned is do everything you can to make a safe and secure splice. Simplicity is not always the best answer.

So to answer your question, I do not consider Wagos safe and secure splicing connectors. In time, they will eventually fail.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Guess why they make the winged nuts vs knurled.