Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mice

Racoons that show no fear of humans are often rabid. Take care.

Thanks Malcolm that is over, no more visitors they moved to huge maple trees around here and to the farm.

now the farm is gone and little homes will spring out of the ground and turn the country into the city. There was a view of sunrises over 150 acres. Years past other way lost the view of sunsets.

Walk the Plank is the best, most effective mousetrap made. It can catch unlimited numbers of mice in a single day. My personal best is six in a 24 hour period, without having to reset the trap, because it automatically resets itself.

You can make your own, or buy a kit.

https://youtu.be/nsoVcrFyrF8
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Walk the Plank is the best, most effective mousetrap made. It can catch unlimited numbers of mice in a single day. My personal best is six in a 24 hour period, without having to reset the trap, because it automatically resets itself.

You can make your own, or buy a kit.

https://youtu.be/nsoVcrFyrF8
    I used to use bucket traps at my cabin and got tired of emptying the nasty, stinky water and mice slop.

I switched over to PVC bait stations. You can make them for a few dollars and use bar bait suspended on a small cable. Nothing to smell or empty out. Don't worry about the neighbors pets getting into them either. If you have a chipmunk or gopher problem it will take care of them also.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Back in the mid 1950's my parents purchased an old farm house and a few acres. The house stone farm house had no electricity or running water and my parents worked weekends and holidays to rehab the place for us to move in. When they first bought it, mice would run across the floor in front of us. Dad took an old five gallon bucket and put a long spike in each side just under the rim of the bucket. He took a half gallon drink can and poked a hole in the center of each end and put the spikes into each hole so the can would spin freely like a wheel. He coated the drink can with peanut butter and then placed a board up each side like a ramp. They set the thing up one night as we left and poured three or four inches of water in the bucket and when we returned the next day, there were over a dozen drowned mice in the bottom of the bucket, They continued using that same trap for the mice for at least a month with continuous results. As the foundation was repointed and the door and window frames replaced, mice could no longer get in and we caught fewer and fewer mice. Eventually the trap was moved to the barn where a chipmunk fell victim. My mother put her foot down then and wanted no more chipmunks harmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Back in the mid 1950's my parents purchased an old farm house and a few acres. The house stone farm house had no electricity or running water and my parents worked weekends and holidays to rehab the place for us to move in. When they first bought it, mice would run across the floor in front of us. Dad took an old five gallon bucket and put a long spike in each side just under the rim of the bucket. He took a half gallon drink can and poked a hole in the center of each end and put the spikes into each hole so the can would spin freely like a wheel. He coated the drink can with peanut butter and then placed a board up each side like a ramp. They set the thing up one night as we left and poured three or four inches of water in the bucket and when we returned the next day, there were over a dozen drowned mice in the bottom of the bucket, They continued using that same trap for the mice for at least a month with continuous results. As the foundation was repointed and the door and window frames replaced, mice could no longer get in and we caught fewer and fewer mice. Eventually the trap was moved to the barn where a chipmunk fell victim. My mother put her foot down then and wanted no more chipmunks harmed.
    That's the same basic trap my friend/coworker built last year. He had great results also. He's not a woodworker but has a nice shop his auto repair business used to be in and he was being over ran by mice. He's caught a lot of mice with the peanut butter on the spinning drum over a moat. Just dump it every few days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I switched over to PVC bait stations. You can make them for a few dollars and use bar bait suspended on a small cable. Nothing to smell or empty out. Don't worry about the neighbors pets getting into them either. If you have a chipmunk or gopher problem it will take care of them also.
    Be careful with those bar baits. They used to contain a blood thinner that had an antidote if a pet eat some. Now they contain a nerve agent for which there is no antidote. Dogs think they are biscuits and will eat as many as they can get in their mouth. I was refilling some of my bait stations and my dog got into the bag I left setting within his reach for just a few seconds. Thankfully I noticed the green crumbs on the ground and particles stuck in his teeth and induced vomiting right away with hydrogen peroxide. A quick trip to the vet and $300 later he had a belly full of activated charcoal. We were lucky, there were no long term effects. I no longer use those bar baits.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You don't need to bait a mouse trap. Set it, and place the trigger end against a wall. Mice are wall runners.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night