Thread: Parts for old Bailey hand planes? (Depth Adjustment Lever)

Parts for old Bailey hand planes? (Depth Adjustment Lever)

I inherited an ~1880's Bailey 9 1/2 block plane, type 4 or 5 as far as I can tell (details below). It has a problem w/ the blade depth adjustment. I think the lever may be damaged. I'm not totally sure what the nub is supposed to look like, but I suspect it isn't engaging the blade very well. Whatever the case, the blade only moves when the nut is on the top half of the adjustment range.

For the life of me I can't find a part number or anything specific about the depth adjustment lever. I can't even figure out how to get it out. And I'm having a hell of a time finding a place to get parts for this old of a plane. Does anyone here know where I could find obscure parts for an obscure plane? Or how to get the arm out of the plane?

Plane details: The only identifying marks on the plane are stamped into the iron: "L. Bailey's" Patent "Aug.6.67" "Aug.31.58 EX'D". It looks like a 9 1/2 type 5-ish block plane to my amateur eyes... 1880's. It's apparently been in my family since before WWII. It works great, when I can get it adjusted.

Plane.jpg

Broken Nub.jpg

Blog Entries
    You might have to find parts from someone like NHPlaneparts dot com.

The lever has to pivot on something. usually it is a pin that should be removable somehow.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think i have this same plane at home. I will look tonight after work. It may have the part you need.

NH Planeparts, fantastic tip Jim! That's a perfect find for anyone bitten by the old plane bug. I think it's time to get serious about getting the pin out that holds the arm in place. I'm not sure how to do that, maybe Jason will know how it's done. I'll bet a week or two of daily penetrating oil treatment is a good start.

Blog Entries
    If you can take some pictures around the outside of the arm's pivot point others might be able to see if the pin is easy to tap out with a small nail or pin punch or if you might have to file it a bit. Sometimes the pins are tapered so the might come out easier from one side than the other.

The last plane of mine with this style of adjuster was sold years ago.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Brian, Here is another parts source > https://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm < he has the adjuster plate currently listed at $6.50.

There is also a parts view of the style of block plane.

jtk

Thanks Jim for the link, here's some pictures and a video that explains my issue very well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjZCT6gc6bw

The first image is of the rear of the plane. The front is to the left of the image, the back of the plane is to the right. At the right side of the image is the brass depth adjustment nut. A steel arm engages the nut with a forked end. That arm extends to the left, behind the casting of the plane base, and is held by a pin on the bottom side and has a nub on the top side. Squint and you can make out the pin. Or see the images below or to see this really well, go to the video, at 1:10 and 2:35.
    Plane Post1.jpg
    The next image shows the bottom of the iron. The iron fits down on top of the plane so the lever arm nub engages one of the slots in the iron. Then when the adjustment nut is moved up and down, the lever arm moves up and down, pivots around the pin, and the nub moves back and forth. I show this really well on the video. Interesting side note, Veritas sells replacement irons for this plane.
    Plane Post5.jpg
    My problem is the iron doesn't move back and forth when the adjustment nut is on the bottom 1/3 or 1/2 of the adjustment range. I'm thinking that nub must be worn down or broken somehow and it isn't fully engaging the grooves on the bottom of the iron. So now I need to get that depth adjustment lever arm off the plane, and I need to find a replacement part. To get it off, I can't just tap it w/ a hammer & tap because the side of the plane is in the way. See the next image.
    Plane Post2.jpg
    I suppose I could squeeze/press it out with pliers, obviously using a thin piece of wood to protect the plane from the pliers. But so far that pin isn't moving. It hasn't moved in 135 years and I'm hoping a week of penetrating lube will help. But if any of you know of any tricks to get that pin out, I'm all ears.
    Plane Post3.jpg

Again, the video shows all this very well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjZCT6gc6bw

Thanks,
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

To wrap up this thread... Yes! Bob Kaune at Antique-Used-Tools.com had the part & was happy to send it to me. My plane is happily taking nice and wide whispey shavings from my projects. Thanks Jim!

Blog Entries
    Glad to be of help.

jtk

Does this mean you were able to replace the adjustment lever? You did not say how you were able to remove the original part.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Does this mean you were able to replace the adjustment lever? You did not say how you were able to remove the original part.
    That could be of interest to many others.

What is of interest to me is did the price include shipping?

jtk

Last one I removed...I checked to see which end of the pin was smallest....used a pin punch the same size ( maybe a hair smaller) and drive the pin out the larger hole. You do NOT need to remove the pin from the plane, just back it out enough to remove the old lever, and install the new. Then drive the pin back in. Done. Same as changing out a worn out yoke for a bench plane....

this pin seems to be seated on an U shaped cradle, not through a hole.

Cape chisel, come up from underneath....usually pops right out.
    Cape Chisel..
    Cape Chisel.JPG
    I just went and check my 3 block planes with that adjuster lever.....all had holes the pin needed to be driven through....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-24-2021 at 6:01 PM.