Thread: Lathe Upgrade

Lathe Upgrade

Hi, I'm looking at maybe upgrading my lathe. I presently have a Jet 1236. Was looking at these two. Jim

https: //oregoncoast.craigslist.org/tls/d/westlake-nova-wood-lathe-teknatool/7271773859.html

https: //oregoncoast.craigslist.org/tls/d/port-orford-shop-fox-2hp-wood-lathe/7273903438.html
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-02-2021 at 5:20 PM. Reason: direct links to craigslist not permitted, copy and fix links to view

I don't believe the Shop Fox would be much of an upgrade from your current lathe. The deficiency of the Jet 1236 lathe is the Reeves drive. The Shop Fox is beefier than the Jet, but it has the same type of transmission. When it works, it's too slow for turning large, out of balance, blanks. It is fine for spindles, including small hollow forms. However, Reeves drives are thought to be unreliable -- particularly if they haven't been well maintained. Given that the current owner of the lathe calls a drive center a 'chuck', we might question how well the lathe may have been maintained. (Of course, it may be that the lathe is being sold by the spouse or child of someone who's no longer able to use the lathe....)

The Nova should be more reliable than your Jet, but you'll be forced to move the belt from one pulley to another to change speeds. That's proven technology with a well deserved reputation for reliability. However, there's a reason why virtually all newer lathes have some version of variable speed drive (of which a Reeves drive is a type). Use this lathe, and you'll quickly miss the ease of changing speeds with your jet. However, good work can be, and has been, done with this type of lathe. But, again, not much of an upgrade over a good example of a Jet 1236. The Nova has a greater swing and it can run at a slower speed than the Jet, but still not quite as slow as you might want for a large bowl. (In this regard it is a material improvement over the Jet, but only in that regard.)

HTH
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I had the Harbor freight with the reeves drive. Turned on it for 10 years or so. Bought the Nova 16-24 a couple of years ago and it is like night and day. It’s one drawback is it is not variable speed. You have to change the pulleys. It takes less than a minute, but it is not the same as turning a knob. But it is a wonderful lathe. I’ve turned it with the headstock pivoted too, and it was very pleasant. I don’t turn often but I’ve turned some 12 or 13 inch platters with no issues whatsoever. I almost bought the Laguna 12-16, but decided I would rather have the capacity and save a few bucks. By the time you got the stand and options, it would be a much more expensive lathe. I have no regrets and the tail stock and headstock lined up perfectly out of the box.
    Last edited by Todd Trebuna; 03-03-2021 at 11:33 AM.

The Nova is the better buy between the two, and the photo looks like it is well cared for. But I'm one who values variable speed. However, if you are willing to give up a little capacity you can get a Rikon 70-220VSR brand new, delivered to your door. It's a lot of lathe for the money.

https: //medford.craigslist.org/for/d/medford-laguna-revo-lathe/7284741422.html

There's a Laguna Revo 18-36 for sale. Asking $2,000. The owner had a stoke and the wife is selling it, according to the ad. There might be a bunch of tools that go with it too. If you could swing this, you won't need another lathe for a long time.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-02-2021 at 9:37 PM.

Looks like its gone. There's a Laguna in Coburg. Not much info on it though. I'm still kicking myself for not making the drive to Carlsbad, Ca a guy had a Laguna 2442 with a second headstock, Jet dust collector and a Jet Air filtration system for $1800. Oh Well wasn't meant for me. Jim

James, where are you located, I am in Eugene.

robo hippy

Regarding that Nova 1624, Teknatool may still have some DVR conversion kits left. It consisted of a new motor and controller if i recall correctly--and i don't think it was inexpensive. But..the variable speed is worth extra to some. I'd be one of those--don't mind changing belts for ranges, but would not want to do it for every speed change.
    earl

My Nova 1624 has served me well for around 14 years... still using the original belt. Do I wish I had variable speed, yes, but I get by fine without.

Boise. We're headed to Portland and Seaside next week.

I am down in Eugene, If you ever swing through this area, let me know. I like play dates....

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I am down in Eugene, If you ever swing through this area, let me know. I like play dates....

robo hippy
    That sounds like a fun idea.