Thread: Another router table question - overhang for clamping

Another router table question - overhang for clamping

Thanks to the forum for being generous with their opinions for my pending router table build.

So based on that input, I am planning on building the base cabinet myself and, despite some folks' belief of its limited utility, I will have a miter slot in the top. Given that I should be able to use the latter for featherboard mounting, is there ANY reason to leave much of a top overhang? My kneejerk thought was to size the cabinet leaving maybe 1 1/2" - 2" of overhang but that would be to allow for some clamping area. For the life of me, I cannot think of any cases where I would want/need to clamp something down to the router table (unless its being used for some other purpose), in which case I might enlarge the base cabinet dimensions and just leave a small reveal for aesthetic purposes.

Any reasons to think otherwise?

Nothing wrong with an overhang around all four sides as long as it doesn't interfere with your reach to the center of the cut. I'd give myself about 3", if you clamping handle is a screw kind below the table and you hang a full cabinet, you need to allow a bit of room to get a decent grip on the clamp handle.

I would leave an overhang for clamping. You never know what accessory you might want to use. For example:

152412C1-C2E4-44CB-8D2D-0D2359AA78EC.jpg

Further, in my smallish shop, the router table sometimes is pressed into other service involving clamps.

I agree with Jay. I’d leave a small overhang (maybe 2” or so) just in case you need it for clamping a special fixture.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

If you don't add some overhang during the build, you will have a need for some clamping space in the future. I rarely have to clamp something to the top during a routing operation, but have done so once or twice.
    At least you get some additional surface area.

I agree a couple inches is a good idea. I have to have it because my fence clamps to the top in the overhang area.

Blog Entries
    I would leave an overhang. There may be a need in the future.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution