Thread: Source for Unfinished Butcher Block?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    People who do metalwork never go to Home Depot or Lowe's because they have almost no selection, and they charge about 4 times as much as metal dealers. I thought maybe woodworkers had a similar secret for getting butcher block cheap. It appears that this is not the case.

I guess $165 is not a bad price.
    I read this with some amusement.

I was gonna steer you towards Boos, or J. Aaron but then between the lines I realized you don't really want good.

Just because the BORG isn't a good ( read cheap) source for metalworkers , it doesn't mean it's not for other materials. Might not be for block tops either - I'm not shopping for one. But, like amazon; the depot is also a marketplace for lots of things they don't stock. So I had a quick gander at what they're peddling. Seems you can get a 2' x 4' top delivered to a store for under $200 in Ash, Beech, Alder, Birch, Poplar, Oak, and Acacia - what ever that is. Most are around the $150 mark. For a few bucks more you can get one in maple. So, I'd say $165 is not bad.

How much do you think that much lumber would cost you today if you went to buy some ? Have you seen hardwood prices these days ? I just got a load of walnut for a top and had to wait almost two months for stock to arrive and the price was 30% more than last quarter.

HD here shows a 6 foot x 25" unfinished for 250. Use the rest in the shop.

I have one in Birch that looks pretty decent for the price. Was going to make a 'desk' in a closet out of it.

As for price, I got 2-1/4" tops from Grizzly for my machine shop cabinets. The extra 1/2" nearly doubled the price. They sure are solid though.

Do a google search for "bally butcherblock". It's sold many places, and you can get about any size you want. I've had a 2' x 8' piece sitting on edge, in a storage building here, since the early 1980's, and it's still flat, and straight.

The Bally is real good. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those open up.

Acacia - what ever that is.
    Acacia is in the pea family same as koa wood. It is very dense and does not float in water. The street trees wood I have seen looks like walnut or very dark mohagony. I do not know what commercial wood comes from. I assume Africa.
    The tree of tenere was acacia. One of the few trees marked on maps that are not a map of a park.
    Bil lD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_o...n%C3%A9r%C3%A9