Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for Unfinished Butcher Block?

Source for Unfinished Butcher Block?

I have been trying to figure out what kind of top to put on my new kitchen cart. I thought I might use thick plywood with some kind of heavy resin on it, but now I'm thinking maybe I'll just get a slab of 1-1/2" unfinished maple butcher block. I can use plywood for the lower shelves.

Can anyone recommend a good source? I found a place that will sell me 32" by 18" for $165, shipped. That's long-grain with hard edges I would relieve with my own tools.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Lumber Liquidators all carry butcher block countertops.

Grizzly will sell me a somewhat bigger piece for $150, shipped, but it would be covered with something called Durakryl, which I would have to remove, I guess. Not sure how I would do that. I would also have to run it through the table saw to cut it to size.

Lowe's and Home Depot start at about $225. Lumber Liquidators starts at around $250.

Seems to be that always on Craigslist someone is selling some within a 100 miles of here. YMMV (no, literally).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    Grizzly will sell me a somewhat bigger piece for $150, shipped, but it would be covered with something called Durakryl, which I would have to remove, I guess. Not sure how I would do that. I would also have to run it through the table saw to cut it to size.
    Do you intend to actually cut directly on the surface? If not, the coating is an advantage. I never cut directly on the top of our island...I use an auxiliary board for that. That said, if the most cost effective source for what you need in the size you need has a coating on it that you don't want, paying a few bucks for someone to run it through their big drum sander or wide belt will get you to bare wood really quickly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

People who do metalwork never go to Home Depot or Lowe's because they have almost no selection, and they charge about 4 times as much as metal dealers. I thought maybe woodworkers had a similar secret for getting butcher block cheap. It appears that this is not the case.

I guess $165 is not a bad price.

People who do metalwork never go to Home Depot or Lowe's because they have almost no selection, and they charge about 4 times as much as metal dealers. I thought maybe woodworkers had a similar secret for getting butcher block cheap. It appears that this is not the case.

I read this with some amusement.

I was gonna steer you towards Boos, or J. Aaron but then between the lines I realized you don't really want good.

Just because the BORG isn't a good ( read cheap) source for metalworkers , it doesn't mean it's not for other materials. Might not be for block tops either - I'm not shopping for one. But, like amazon; the depot is also a marketplace for lots of things they don't stock. So I had a quick gander at what they're peddling. Seems you can get a 2' x 4' top delivered to a store for under $200 in Ash, Beech, Alder, Birch, Poplar, Oak, and Acacia - what ever that is. Most are around the $150 mark. For a few bucks more you can get one in maple. So, I'd say $165 is not bad.

How much do you think that much lumber would cost you today if you went to buy some ? Have you seen hardwood prices these days ? I just got a load of walnut for a top and had to wait almost two months for stock to arrive and the price was 30% more than last quarter.

HD here shows a 6 foot x 25" unfinished for 250. Use the rest in the shop.

I have one in Birch that looks pretty decent for the price. Was going to make a 'desk' in a closet out of it.

As for price, I got 2-1/4" tops from Grizzly for my machine shop cabinets. The extra 1/2" nearly doubled the price. They sure are solid though.

Do a google search for "bally butcherblock". It's sold many places, and you can get about any size you want. I've had a 2' x 8' piece sitting on edge, in a storage building here, since the early 1980's, and it's still flat, and straight.

If you price out the maple and factor in your time to mill it and construct the top...$165 can look darn good!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Bally is real good. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those open up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Seems to be that always on Craigslist someone is selling some within a 100 miles of here. YMMV (no, literally).
    When I bought the butcher block top for the island I made, I found one on CL, called and asked him where is was at, he said Morocco IN. I said no kiddin, what street. He told me and I looked out the back window and asked him if he was standing in his driveway. He was a bit taken aback, but said yes. Told him I would be right there and I picked it up with my golf cart.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Not sure how this was supposed to be helpful.

Home Depot is a BAD, not just expensive, place to buy metal. Most people know that. Go in and ask for 6" aluminum channel or 3" round 304 bar, and all you will get will be confused looks from employees who don't know cold-rolled from particle board.

The prices of ash and other woods aren't relevant when the subject is maple.

I asked an intelligent question and got the information I needed. The fact that it amused you is remarkable, and the fact that you felt you should take the time to search irrelevant prices in order to scold me, moreso.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    I read this with some amusement.

I was gonna steer you towards Boos, or J. Aaron but then between the lines I realized you don't really want good.

Just because the BORG isn't a good ( read cheap) source for metalworkers , it doesn't mean it's not for other materials. Might not be for block tops either - I'm not shopping for one. But, like amazon; the depot is also a marketplace for lots of things they don't stock. So I had a quick gander at what they're peddling. Seems you can get a 2' x 4' top delivered to a store for under $200 in Ash, Beech, Alder, Birch, Poplar, Oak, and Acacia - what ever that is. Most are around the $150 mark. For a few bucks more you can get one in maple. So, I'd say $165 is not bad.

How much do you think that much lumber would cost you today if you went to buy some ? Have you seen hardwood prices these days ? I just got a load of walnut for a top and had to wait almost two months for stock to arrive and the price was 30% more than last quarter.

It was supposed to be helpful or at least informative as a price comparison or alternate source , since you seemed unable to locate it yourself. Probably because of your metal bias. I wasn’t trying to argue HD is good for metal, only point out that for wood tops they have a large selection, and the pricing is not out of line.

Will any of those products meet your needs ? Don’t know. They certainly have them in your size and price requirements, though the maple version is a bit higher priced than your find. It is bigger though. Maybe you like another species better? After all , you were going to DIY a top from plywood originally. So let’s not get lost in quality or durability discussion.

You already knew 165 was a good price for that top before you asked here in a veiled manner in anyone knew of a cheaper place. This isn’t a price buster shopping site. You asked for a “good” resource an then rebuked Steve for offering one because it wasn’t elCeapo central. Should have asked “can anyone recommend a cheaper source “ if that’s what you were really after.