Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for Unfinished Butcher Block?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    Grizzly will sell me a somewhat bigger piece for $150, shipped, but it would be covered with something called Durakryl, which I would have to remove, I guess. Not sure how I would do that. I would also have to run it through the table saw to cut it to size.
    I've bought these in the past for a kitchen island at my parent's place, the top has held up after 8 years. That Durakryl finish the tops come with is pretty ugly but it's easy enough to fix with an RO sander, some 180 grit paper and a bit of tung oil.

Check out Ikea. They sell wood countertops for a very competitive price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Check out Ikea. They sell wood countertops for a very competitive price.
    Just be aware that Ikea wood tops are all veneered with a flakeboard core. Difficult to cover up if any sides of them need to be trimmed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Just be aware that Ikea wood tops are all veneered with a flakeboard core. Difficult to cover up if any sides of them need to be trimmed down.

Not the one I got. Don't remember exactly, but less than 6 years ago ... my girlfriend and I went and got it. I remember having to drive my Prius over one of the islands in their nightmare parking lot to find my way out ;-) I think she laughed all the way to the freeway.

I ripped it in half for bookshelves in the living room, and then ran it though the planer in an attempt to get the linseed oil out of it. I *HATE* linseed oil, the smell, the feel, everything. Took about a 16th off each face, and that was probably 90% effective. It eventually became unnoticeable.

I think i would still make my own at the current cost. I don't trust some of those store tops. At least I could get the quality I know it should be.

Wish you were closer and I would help you out. Shipping from here to FL would not make it worth it at $165.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

32 x 18 x 1-1/2 is roughly 9 bf of lumber (plus some for waste). 8/4 hard maple is $5.40/bf at my local retailer. So ~$60 for wood, a buck's worth of glue and an hour with a plane and you've got what you need. That's probably about as cheap as it gets. You could do red oak for half that price.

That's a good source as long as you don't want to re-size them. Since they are all veneered tops, cutting them down exposes the particle board core. Which, is not the end of the world as long as the cut portion is against a wall or cabinet.

Not so great for an island top.

8/4 hard maple is $5.40/bf at my local retailer.
    That's a really good price. Last year my go to supplier was just over 7 bucks for FAS 8/4 maple. I'm guessing it's at least $8 now. Maybe more.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 03-03-2021 at 4:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    That's a really good price. Last year my go to supplier was just over 7 bucks for FAS 8/4 maple. I'm guessing it's at least $8 now. Maybe more.
    $7-$8/bf for FAS hard maple is insane. Still only $5.50 / $5.75 for select grade 8/4 at my local place in Upstate NY. https://ghentwoodproducts.com/price-...ds-kiln-dried/

I wasn’t necessarily advocating for anyone using an Ikea top, just to be mindful of what you’re actually getting at that place. They might be ok for secondary surfaces in the shop that aren’t getting a ton of abuse though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post

Highland Hardwoods, Brentwood, NH. Great dealer, huge stock. They will also sell butcher block, but don't quote prices on the web site. That's the retail pricing, if you buy a couple hundred bf it gets even cheaper. They are primarily a wholesaler, but have a huge building for retail sales as well where you are free to pick through the piles--it's pretty much not necessary as it's all quite good. The "shorts" area is a fantastic resource for turners.

$7-$8/bf for FAS hard maple is insane. Still only $5.50 / $5.75 for select grade 8/4 at my local place in Upstate NY.
    Oh, I agree. But that's the goin rate in ATL.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I guess things have changed at Ikea since I bought one for the top of my workbench and another for the countertop of a rental apt, both were solid wood because when I cut the countertop for the sink it was all wood.

I got my workbench top from Baird Brothers. Very high quality, but unclear what the size you want would cost. Mine was far larger than that, and I thought the price, quality and service were outstanding. It was funny seeing a This Old House episode from there a few days after I ordered it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Acacia - what ever that is.
    Acacia is in the pea family same as koa wood. It is very dense and does not float in water. The street trees wood I have seen looks like walnut or very dark mohagony. I do not know what commercial wood comes from. I assume Africa.
    The tree of tenere was acacia. One of the few trees marked on maps that are not a map of a park.
    Bil lD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_o...n%C3%A9r%C3%A9