Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Used Planer Advice

Does this planer use straight knives?
    (if so, replacing these is moderately fiddly)

I see two upsides for planers like this over a modern benchtop:
    - can usually be adjusted to eliminate snipe
    - motor runs quieter than a universal motor

For basement shop, you will want dust collection. You should be able to make something homemade even if mfg doesn't have the part available -- anything to redirect the chip chute into your dust collector.

Matt

I think Grizzly made a copy of the Delta with fixed beds and a copy of the other copies made in Taiwan at the time with fixed head. There was also a difference in feed speeds on some of the copies. the Delta had a wider range- basically a slower low. some of the copies had a narrow range, fast and too fast. Dave

So I just realized something that I have never paid attention too. I haven't been around planers much , never had one, but just noticed.

Fixed table or Fixed motor cutter head

I would assume that the fixed motor cutter head is better ? The table would be easier to raise and lower and the cutter head would have less chances to move ?
    Would you school me a little ?

I guess a couple of posters didn't look at the pictures. It doesn't need in feed/ out feed tables, as it comes with the rollers. This is a solid planer, cloned off the Rockwell DC-33 / Invicta / Delta 380, only with adjustable tables rather than motor rising and falling.

Stationary tables are much easier to add extensions onto. A motor on top of the cutter head makes knife changes and adjustment a long slow process.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Stationary tables are much easier to add extensions onto. A motor on top of the cutter head makes knife changes and adjustment a long slow process.
    Bill D

Tell me about it! I own a Delta DC-380

So, is there a best option ?
    fixed bed
    or
    fixed motor/cutter head ?

IAFAIK all movable head planers are lightweights while all the heavy old cast iron machines have fixed heads.
    Regardless make sure to check the bedroll bearings for free turning. On my Parks the oilite bushing was worn eggshaped so the roller would come up from time to time making for lumpy surfaces.
    Bill D.

I've never needed extensions beyond what came with my 20" planer. So a movable bed isn't an issue to me. Once you get beyond 15" the motor is too heavy to move. I've never owned a portable planer so maybe they are different and the weight of a very long board could tip it over or the weight of the ends of the board could bow the board putting too much force on the center of the board causing the planer to take too much off in the center of the board but with the floor planers they are constructed to easily handle it.

I guess if you were trying to plane a lot of lumber at one time by yourself longer tables might be helpful but even then I find that I can start a second board, allow it enough time to start planing, and walk to the rear and remove the first board. Even then I find it much more important to have a table for stacking the two piles of wood that either can be rolled or is in a good spot so placing boards on the stack is within easy reaching distance while at the same time the stack is close to the front of the planer for feeding wood into it.

The biggest issue would be what Bill said. With the motor on top, how difficult is it to set the blades? If hard then I could see that being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    IAFAIK all movable head planers are lightweights while all the heavy old cast iron machines have fixed heads.
    Regardless make sure to check the bedroll bearings for free turning. On my Parks the oilite bushing was worn eggshaped so the roller would come up from time to time making for lumpy surfaces.
    Bill D.

My Delta DC-380, movable head, weighs in at 600 pounds. The only way I would call that light weight is when comparing to my Rockwell 13", which weighs almost twice as much. Look at shipping weight for similar planers and see which is heavier, movable, or fixed. Just checked Grizzly's web site, and their G0815, which is a very close machine, without stand, or rollers has a ship weight of almost 400#, which definitely not light weight. Any machine shop can turn you new bushings, if they aren't available OEM.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-04-2021 at 9:18 PM.

Manual is here:
    https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1021_m.pdf
    Knife change/adjustment doesn't look horrible, but there apparently aren't jack screws. Make sure you get the knife setting gauge (shown in the manual). It's probably available from Grizzly, too. They sold thousands of those planers. I had one of the later versions with the motor underneath; it was a fine planer. It replaced an old Makita lunchbox planer and I still remember how happy I was to get it. I eventually put a Byrd head in it, then sold it when I got my Powermatic.

To me a heavy duty planer is like the rockwell wedge bed 18" which weighs about 1,000 pounds. I expect the motor is not included in the weight listed.
    Bil lD

In the 15" planer world, fix vs movable heads have nearly the same build. Movable tables are easier and cheaper to build so most of the clones have gone that route. While a step up from lunchbox types, these planers do lack design improvements found on higher end or larger planers. In the old machine catagory, 18-20" machines like the Delta Wedgebed, oliver 399, or PM 180 were all considered light duty. Most ( the Delta was an exception ) used one motor to run both the feed and the head, and the bed rollers were non powered. Weight was in the 1000-1300 range vs the 2000+ of the 24" machines with multiple. motors, larger diameter head, and heavy chipbreakers and pressure bars.

The 15' machines were slotted in between the lunchbox and 18" builds and while a compromise in design, gave a decent finish if not pushed too hard. Dave

Thanks for all the replies, some good information and you have "schooled" me about planer design and making my decision going forward with my hunt for a planer.

I went and checked this planer out last night. It was rough. Looked like it wasn't very well taken care of over its life . I checked out all the points and places mentioned here, cranks, cracks, rollers, rust. And I ran some lumber through it. It needed a lot or work. I think it need rebuilt , rollers were sticky, crank and chain were sloppy, oil on the bed , bent base, it was just to rough for what I wanted to deal with. It had lived a tough live you could tell.

I Passed on it. The seller didn't want to come down on the price. I wouldn't have bought it at half the asking price..to much work for me to rebuild it.

Thanks again for all the information and suggestions. It really helps me with my hunt for a used or new planer.
    i appreciate it all.

I am still looking for a planer. I have a chance for a Woodmaster 712. A buddy picked it at an auction. Depending on how old it is and shape its in I think it would be a good deal at $500
    I haven't looked at it yet but am going to this weekend. I've read quite a bit about the Woodmaster and see they have a good following.

Another buddy has had a Woodmaster for several years, but only uses it as a molder. Said it is a Great molder but he has never used it as a planer. Didn't think it would really be heavy enough for a planer. Told me to keep looking for a used Jet or Shop Fox. Something made out of cast iron. So I come back here to ask

Opinions on a Woodmaster 712 as a planer ?

Is there any of you that have a Woodmaster as a planer ?

My main use will be a planer.