Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for advice on strength of joints

Another idea for the gussets is to glue/screw pieces of 1-1/2" poplar along the inner corners to create a lip and then attaching the gussets to the BOTTOM side of those pieces and screwing them from below. That way the weight will be better supported (I assume).

Gusset.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Lande; 03-02-2021 at 5:52 PM. Reason: Adding photo

They are on Amazon. Here's a link to the picture. To see pictures here you now have to pay $6 a year. It's worth it if you get into woodworking.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SR160,160_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    They are on Amazon. Here's a link to the picture. To see pictures here you now have to pay $6 a year. It's worth it if you get into woodworking.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SR160,160_.jpg

That's a great idea. Thanks, Alex. Less wood, lighter, easier to install, no need to fill holes on the outside of the main box, and I can buy fewer hooks. Sold.

Thanks to everyone for the help on this build, but before I build these things I have one other question regarding the two 7" x 8' cherry boards. They are sandwiched between the three open frame constructions along the "floor" of the frame. I was planning on glueing the ends of the cherry boards to the inner frame and securing with two pocket screws on each end, screwing to the adjacent edges of the open frames in various spots, and screwing to the single center cross bar. Is wood expansion of these cherry boards a concern? Should I NOT glue them at the ends? Or would I be better off using veneered 3/4" ply for these panels? Thanks.

questioned your panel size, how wide is your fabric?

Each of the fabric panels (the open frame pieces) are about 2' wide and run the roughly 8' length.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. The clouds are finally built and installed (photos below). Alex, the shelf brackets ended up being not a true 90° so I used concrete from angles - basically the same thing and they worked great. Thanks for the idea!

-Michael

IMG_3161.jpgIMG_3168.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice work, Micheal! Those look great.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thank you, Brian!