Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw vise height

Saw vise height

I have a Gramercy saw vise that I am going to mount to a wood bracket that can be clamped to my bench. It seems that it would be easier to use if the bracket raised the vise a bit higher than mounting at the edge of the bench. I think elevating the tooth line to elbow high would be about right (for me that would be about 42 inches). The bench is about 35 inches high. Any preferences or opinions on best working height for saw filing.

I like to sit for filing back saws and stand for the longer panel saws. I use a shop-built vise that fits into my twin-screw vise. Daryl Wier sits for all of his filing and uses a long wooden vise he made so that he doesn't to keep shifting the saw plate. If you are going to stand for everything you will probably want to elevate the vise. Just make sure you build a very sturdy mount that will dampen the vibration and not amplify the noise of the filing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I like to sit for filing back saws and stand for the longer panel saws. I use a shop-built vise that fits into my twin-screw vise. Daryl Wier sits for all of his filing and uses a long wooden vise he made so that he doesn't to keep shifting the saw plate. If you are going to stand for everything you will probably want to elevate the vise. Just make sure you build a very sturdy mount that will dampen the vibration and not amplify the noise of the filing.
    I would have to build a low bench to be able to file seated so I will start out with the bench bracket. I think I will start at 42” but I will make it so I can cut it down if that is too high. This will be my first attempt at filing. I have some blade practice samples that I got a while back from Lie Nielsen to try first.

The bracket will be sturdy. I am an engineer after all. We tend to go overboard on sturdiness. I am making the bracket of 2x8 construction lumber that has be squared up and planed flat so it can be glued and screwed.

Sounds like you have a plan. Sharpening saws is gratifying and empowering.

Elbow high at the end of the stroke.

Thank you both.

Elbow height sounds about right to me. You might want to start with a simple saw vise holder you can clamp in the bench vise to experiment with different heights. Mine was a simple upside down U shape, using 2x2's. I can clamp it at different heights. Having the 2 legs in the vise makes it sturdy, as we engineers like.

Blog Entries
    I have a Gramercy saw vise that I am going to mount to a wood bracket that can be clamped to my bench.
    Does your bench have a vise?

My Gramercy saw vise was mounted so it can be held in a vise:

Gramercy Saw Vise.jpg

There is a groove on the back side for the back piece:

Saw Vise Mounting.jpg

A block was glued in to one corner for better stability.

This was set up to be at a comfortable height while sitting on my shop stool.

The handle was a piece of apple turned and sawn to fit. It is more comfortable than the steel handle.

The mounting holes on the saw vise were drilled out to accommodate the screws on hand. If my recollector is working they were #12 wood screws.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-03-2021 at 1:38 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, Jim. I should have said “bracket that can be clamped in the vise on my bench.”

Our designs are very similar. I used two vertical braces behind the mounting board and added a horizontal board that can be clamped with a C-clamp on the left side of the bracket. The top of the vise has a nice flat surface so I will put a table on it to draw guide lines to align the file to. I have seen this trick in somewhere in a video. Here is a sketch.
    F06E8B38-B3DF-4B00-9A01-4D404608E30C.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have mine mounted much like JK.

I do it standing up, so I can see down along the tooth line. I hold the file with both hands, so standing gives clearance.

Blog Entries
    The top of the vise has a nice flat surface so I will put a table on it to draw guide lines to align the file to.
    There are many ways to align the file for the desired fleam angle. Some will lay an angle gauge on the bench below the vise and move it as needed.

Lee Valley sells a file handle with a fleam guide built in > https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...aw-file-holder

My solution was to make a small bevel guide to sit on the saw:

Saw Bevel.jpg

The blade is made from an old hacksaw blade.

There is a kerf on the other side:

Saw Bevel kerf.jpg

Here is the original post on this from nine years ago > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?180440 < it mentions one part of the design that could be changed.

Since then it has had a few kerfs added. If another one is ever built it would have one wider kerf. Plastic tipped set screws would be added into the sides to make it so the kerf could be adjustable for various saw sizes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    My work bench is 42" and I put my saw vise in the bench vise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Lee Valley sells a file handle with a fleam guide built in > https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...aw-file-holder

The blade is made from an old hacksaw blade.

There is a kerf on the other side:

Saw Bevel kerf.jpg

Here is the original post on this from nine years ago > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?180440 < it mentions one part of the design that could be changed.

Since then it has had a few kerfs added. If another one is ever built it would have one wider kerf. Plastic tipped set screws would be added into the sides to make it so the kerf could be adjustable for various saw sizes.

jtk
    I have the Veritas Guide. I have not used it. I am in the getting-ready-to-learn-how-to-do-this phase. Your guide is very clever. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    My work bench is 42" and I put my saw vise in the bench vise.
    The consensus here seems to be to elevate the vise to 42+ inches. It is surprising that the Gramercy instructions do not suggest a mounting bracket that high.

My bracket pieces are cut and ready to assemble but I am tied to my house awaiting a parcel requiring signature, despite my efforts to digitally sign or get a narrow time window for delivery.

Hmmm.
    saw vise.JPG
    Wentworth No. 1....attached to a 2 x 8. Have to allow room for the release lever to clear the bench's vise...

Somewhere just under armpit height....gets the teeth up where I can see them a little better......