Thread: Aluminum Channel Frame: Rivets?

Aluminum Channel Frame: Rivets?

I’ve been pondering ways to make a relatively lightweight lift-up awning/cover for a TV cabinet.

One idea I had was possibly building an aluminum L-channel frame, and securing 1/4 PVC board to it as my finished siding.

Only issue is that welding is not in my skill set, and a call to a few local shops made it clear they’re not interested in taking on even a small project right now (“we’re backed up 8 weeks or so”)

Would rivets do the trick?

Depends on the thickness a little. With material that's 1/8" or more you have the option of tapping holes for screws, or using self tapping screws. I think, but don't know for sure that rivets will be even stronger, especially in larger sizes like 3/16 or 1/4". It's not terribly hard to shear 1/8" aluminum rivets, so I'd probably avoid those. Matching the rivet length appropriately to the thickness of the material seems to be important for a tight joint. Using a bolt and nut will certainly work for a strong joint, rivets are a lot faster and don't require access to both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Depends on the thickness a little. With material that's 1/8" or more you have the option of tapping holes for screws, or using self tapping screws. I think, but don't know for sure that rivets will be even stronger, especially in larger sizes like 3/16 or 1/4". It's not terribly hard to shear 1/8" aluminum rivets, so I'd probably avoid those. Matching the rivet length appropriately to the thickness of the material seems to be important for a tight joint. Using a bolt and nut will certainly work for a strong joint, rivets are a lot faster and don't require access to both sides.
    I’m just now seeing that you can braze aluminum relatively easily too: Thoughts on securing corners with rivets, and then Brazing the joints after?