Thread: “Lumberyard Mold”?

“Lumberyard Mold”?

I have some 2x8’s leftover from construction of my shop. My thought was to rip them down and use them to make benches.

But, being out under a tarp, they seem to have some mildew/mold stains on the surface.

I’ve been reading up on it, and remedies are all over the place.

Bora-cure seemed like the best option, until I saw the price (not worth it to me in this situation)

Then I wasn’t sure if this would be a good excuse to invest in an inexpensive bench top planer (a tool I could occasionally use...).

Sanding seems like a very bad idea. Bleach was also said to be a bad idea (makes the wood more susceptible to mold down the road?)

I’m curious what your tricks are, if any? Or do I cut my losses and order a new batch of lumber?

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    I'd probably just sand or plane it off if it's just some staining. But, plain old borax that you can buy at the grocer's works great for killing mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    I'd probably just sand or plane it off if it's just some staining. But, plain old borax that you can buy at the grocer's works great for killing mold.
    Ah, so plain borax might do the trick? Mix it up with some water in a pump sprayer and go to town?

Many deck cleaning products are effective against mold and mildew, are environmentally friendly and will help remove staining.

Mold needs moisture to grow on wood. If your benches are going indoors, the wood is going to dry down to the point that the mold will stop growing. You'll have discoloration, but that's all. Neither sanding nor bleaching will make the wood grow mold.

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wayland View Post
    Ah, so plain borax might do the trick? Mix it up with some water in a pump sprayer and go to town?
    Lots of info on the internet for borax mold recipes. a cup of borax to a gallon of water, brush on and let soak for 5 minutes. Then wipe/dry. Once the wood is completely dry the mold should be dead and safe.

If it's a bench just buy some mold killing paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wayland View Post
    ...Bleach was also said to be a bad idea (makes the wood more susceptible to mold down the road?)

I’m curious what your tricks are, if any? Or do I cut my losses and order a new batch of lumber?
    I have always used bleach water. A water solution works better than straight bleach. I sometimes use about 50% but I've read that 1 cup per gallon of water is sufficient. I either put in a spray bottle or brush on. Don't rinse. This has worked for me.

I also use bleach to clean algae from watering tubs for the llamas, birds and such in warm weather. Soak and brush, rinse, fill. (I use so much bleach around the farm I usually buy a case or two at a time when on sale.)

You might try different things on one board and see what works. But if making benches, I'm not sure I'd spend a lot of effort unless it was bad. It will all die when dry. If allergic to mold and mildew (I am) I recommend wearing a good industrial respirator.

JKJ

I spent a few years washing, houses, decks and roofs. The only thing that will kill the mold is as John said, is bleach. To kill most mold you need a solution strength of about point .05%. Regular household bleach Clorox is around 6%. So a 10:1 water to bleach solution will work.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Oxiclean works real well on mildew, and dirt !
    WoodsShop